Saturday 4 May 2019

There is an Educator on Survivor

I live in a 90 year old, three-storey brownstone near downtown London. It has 16 apartments in total, 8 on each side of the building. The residents are a mix working and retired professionals - I am one of three teachers who live here.  However, it is more than a residence for its occupants - it is a community. 

We have BBQ's on the back patio, summer Rib Cook-Off Competitions and celebrate events like the Oscars and Superbowl together. We've even installed a portable television on the back wall so that we can watch the Stanley Cup Finals outside over burgers and beers.

Yes, that's a duck in the window - very popular with late night University revellers returning from the bars. 
So, in January of 2001, we were watching the Super Bowl (a bit of a blow out as the Baltimore Ravens defeated the New York Giants soundly). At the end of the game, the second season of Survivor premiered and we hastily put a pool together. This was the beginning of a Survivor watching tradition that has continued for nearly 20 years. We PVR it now and only my wife and my retired neighbour Art watch it weekly (on Thursdays because I have hockey on Wednesday nights).

I've always wanted to get on the show - but as a Canadian, that is an impossibility. When I was younger and fitter, I thought I would have a chance at some of the physical challenges. Now that I am older, I'd have to rely on mental agility and hone a successful social game. There is so much to overcome in order to win this game. The hunger, the boredom, the physical toll, the unexpected twists, the social strategy - playing hard and deceptively enough to get to the end while still gaining the respect of a jury of eliminated participants who will eventually determine the winner.  

When I watch each episode I can't help but envision myself in each scenario. Invariably, I know that my role as an educator would have to come into play. 

That's the thing about being an educator - you have to be in professional teacher mode whenever you are in the public eye. Even on Twitter, I am cautious. I don't get overly-political, I am careful which tweets I "like" - even though a "like" isn't an endorsement. Posting a picture of a craft beer on a Friday night is the extent to which I expose my celebratory side.

This year on Survivor, there is an educator. Not just any educator, Ron Clark. The guy who...

  • Left his small town to teach in New York City Public Schools,
  • Founded the Ron Clark Academy, 
  • Wrote 4 New York Times Best Selling Education Texts,
  • Built a 90K Twitter following,
  • Was named Oprah's first "Phenomenal Man",
  • Had a biopic with Matthew Perry made about him,

...that Ron Clark.

So, I was keen to see how this would play out. 
  • Would he need to stay in professional teacher mode?
  • How deceitful could he be?
  • Is all forgiven if he takes on the role of villian in order to Outplay, Outwit and Outlast?
  • Is it "just a game" or are there real world consequences?
This week he was eliminated and, potentially, became the 10th member of the jury. However, it was the way in which he was eliminated that has me reading articles and blogs this weekend.

After lying to fan favourite contestant Rick Devins on multiple ocassions, Ron made a devilish choice. Privately, he offered Rick an olive branch in the form of a parchment that offered an immunity reward - ostensibly making the possesser safe from elimination at Tribal Council. However, here is the deception. The immunity scroll was expired - something Ron knew and Rick didn't.  

Granted, deceit is part of the game. But, Ron made a decision that, ultimately, was revealed to be mean-spirited - particularly when Ron and his ally Julie reinforced the veracity of the parchment later in the day. 

That evening, when Rick tried to play it at Tribal Council - the ruse was revealed. Seemingly defeated, he turned to the remaining survivors and, in front of the jury and television audience said: 
"Ron and Julie, you are villains! I was already going home! You just wanted to make me look stupid? Why? So my kids think I'm an idiot?"
In a brilliant twist of fate and what is bound to become a legendary Survivor moment, Rick reached into his bag and produced an authentic immunity idol and Ron, not Rick, was sent packing.

Again, I put myself in the scenario...could I have made the choices Ron made? What would the fallout among my friends, student and colleagues be if I made that choice?

What about you?
  • Have you ever wanted to participate on Survivor?
  • Would you be able to play the role of villain to win?
  • Would there be fallout in your professional life?
I'd love to hear your thoughts.


2 comments:

  1. Like many who have watched Survivor (even if just casually or during only the first few seasons), I have wondered if I possessed the necessary skill, stamina, and smarts to outwit and outlast the competition. It never became a serious consideration, though, as it was difficult enough to watch, sometimes. What is that they’re eating? How many bug bites and where? No thank you.
    I concluded early on in watching that I’d never want to put myself through such an ordeal, but liked to imagine that if I ever *had* to face such challenges, I could survive. Ha! Courageous couch-talk.
    Even in such contemplations, though, I was only considering the physical and knowledge aspects of play. I’ve always known I would not be good at the political intrigue. While I might occasionally be portrayed as a villain, I could never be one: I tend to be trusting (believing people when they give their word, assuming the best intentions); I am demonstrative (no poker face, heart on sleeve), and I assume people use reason as their method and have the welfare of the group as their motivation. Given a clear need to do such things for what I could rationalize as a greater good, I could suffer the discomfort of being justifiably deceitful, but such situations are not really part of this game. In fact, aside from the occasional, comforting ‘white lie’, I think such situations are altogether rare.
    Could I be treacherous and villainous solely for personal gain? Not in real life. I’d rather risk personal loss to expose such behaviours. (Stupid Gryffindor...ugh! Just couldn’t let it be...)
    But for a game? Hmm
    A tabletop game, sure. Survivor, though, becomes far too personal and too real....Nope. Couldn’t do it. Even if anonymous, it would eat away at me. It would undermine the person I worked hard to become. I guess $1M isn’t enough to willfully undermine who I like to think I am.

    What a fun mental exercise you’ve inspired, Mr. Hodgkinson! Thanks for writing this blog! There are so many things in this world to contemplate and explore. I really appreciate having a chance to imagine the world from other perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shawn, thanks for reading and responding. It is such a challenging game. I often think about how grumpy I get when I haven't had breakfast and then I think about 39 days on a daily dollp of rice, coconuts and the occassional bit of fish.
    I think I might do fairly well at the start - when the welfare of the group is paramount. Later in the game, when individual immunity is the goal, deception is survivial and small, fragile cliques align - I'd really struggle mentally.
    I think there is some comfort in knowing that I am past my prime and physical challenges would be semi-non-starters for me. However, I do think I would be successful on some of the puzzles. That said, I am speaking from a full belly and a good night's sleep. I would likely be terrible at puzzles when exhausted and hungry.
    Thanks again for writing Shawn.

    ReplyDelete