Sunday 5 May 2019

Interview Time Part 1

Last March I learned that I, along with the other instructional coaches and support staff, would be returning to the classroom for the 2019-20 school year. When I wrote about it I celebrated the opportunity. I love what I do now but I am excited to put all of the learning I've received into practice. Truth be told - I love having my own class

Well, Round 1 at our Board was released on Wednesday and there were about 10 jobs that got my attention. My seniority is high - I'm number 749 out of about 3600 - so I am in a fortunate position. I am only able to accept interviews for three jobs, so I called 4 schools (just to be safe) to indicate my interest. Well, at least I thought I called four schools.

One of my choices was a Grade 7/8 position with a Gifted class. I would need to take my Special Education Additional Qualification course to secure it but that was something I could do this summer. By Friday morning, three principals had contacted me and I began to mull over the difficult decision of declining an interview. All four opportunities held great promise.

At 4:00, the decision was made for me when I did not receive a call about the Gifted class. I was perplexed. Were there really that many candidates with more seniority than I? 

Then it struck me... I hadn't contacted them. I had completely forgotten to make the phone call necessary to put my hat in the ring.

How could that have happened?

I am not one to believe in fate and I am not a fan of the expressions "everything happens for a reason" or "it was meant to be". On the contrary, things happen and we ascribe a reason to them. That being said (and I may be applying hindsight bias here) but I think this may be a variation on the psychological phenomenon of motivated forgetting. 

I have an incredibly busy summer coming up. 

  • I hope to be participating in the Summer Numeracy Camp for Grade 2's & 3's again - that's the first three weeks of July. 
  • Then I am facilitating a 3-day Summer Academy in Stratford for colleagues from three boards in late July. 
  • Then in mid-August I am attending our Federation's Annual Meeting in Toronto.
  • I am also planning for my return to the classroom.
I think my sub-conscious knew that an online Additional Qualification course might be too much. Well, at least that is what I am telling myself because the other option is horrifying. I may have simply forgotten because I am old and just not as sharp as I used to be. Guess I better get back to those brain training apps!




No comments:

Post a Comment