Saturday 4 May 2019

The 500 - #482 - Steve Earle - Guitar Town

I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 

My plan (amended). 

  • 2 1 records per week & at least 2 complete listens.
  • A quick blog post for each, highlighting the important details and a quick background story.
  • No rating scale - just an effort to expand my appreciation.

Album # 482

Album Title: Guitar Town
Artist: Steve Earle
Released: March, 1986
My age at release: 20
How familiar am I with it: A little
Song I am putting on my Spotify Mix: Guitar Town
Great Lyric:
"Just when every ray of hope was gone
I should have known you would come along
I can't believe I ever doubted you
My old friend the blues"

Like almost everyone I know, Steve Earle showed up on my radar with the release of Copperhead Road in 1988. I think I had it on CD - or perhaps I borrowed it from the Software Library and recorded it on to tape...I don't remember any other tracks, so I likely put that song on a mixed tape.

Steve Earle songs wouldn't resurface for me until the late 90's when some hockey playing friends of put together a honky-tonk, southern rock, rockabilly cover band dubbed "Reverand Freddie & the Distillers" to fill in a Monday night slot at our favourite tavern, the now-demolished Brunswick Hotel. The guys were even kind enough to play for my students for free.
It was shortly after this time when I discovered The Wire and Earle played HIV-positive recovering addict Walon. Every time I think about that series it makes me want to rewatch it. The characters are complex and often contradictory - Earle's character is one of many who brilliantly illuminate the complexities of life.

I enjoyed the album. Steve Earle is a terrific writer and the record is full of variety. There are some songs fueled by angst, others dripping with literate venom and some resigned to bittersweet humour. It's a country record - but it isn't. It is absolutely worth a listen ... or two.

Things I learned...

  • After learning guitar at 13, he ran away from home to find his idol Townes Van Zandt.
  • He wrote & produced an off-broadway play about the execution of Karla Faye Tucker.
  • He's been married 7 times (twice to the same woman) - somehow, I don't find that as shocking as I should. 


No comments:

Post a Comment