Wednesday 15 May 2019

The 500 - #479 - Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 

My plan (amended). 

  • 1 or 2 records per week & at least 2 complete listens.
  • A quick blog post for each, highlighting the important details and a quick background story.
  • No rating scale - just an effort to expand my appreciation.

Album # 479

Album Title: Maggot Brain
Artist: Funkadelic
Released: July,1971
My age at release: 6 
How familiar am I with it: Not at all
Song I am putting on my Spotify Mix:Wars of Armageddon
Great Lyric:
“I once had a life 
Or rather, life had me
I was one among many
Or at least I seemed to be…”

Without a doubt, this is the best new album I have discovered on this list so far.  It is not without its flaws and there are a few songs that are clearly the product of ambitious psychadelic drug consumption. Even the title track, although brilliant in its mournful delivery, can be jarring at times.

According to legend, the entire track, recorded in one take, was  created while members were under the influence of LSD. Guitarist Eddie Hazel was told by bandmate & producer George Clinton, to "imagine he had learned his mother had died ... but then, slowly, discovered she was still alive".   

The story on the song may be apocraphyl, but is exactly the kind of tale that would make a 70's high school stoner say "Whoa, that's heavy man."

The rest of the record is a mixed bag. Some of the songs are great uptempo funk ... either the acoustic-tinged, wall of sound, doo-wop sound of Can You Get to That to the smooth, gospel groove of Hit it Quick. From the Hendrix-esque guitar jams on Super Stupid to Wars of Armageddon which exists as a constant contradiction...sloppy but technical, earnest but silly, mature yet decidedly juvenile.

It was a distraction that came at a perfect time. I am currently interviewing for a classroom placement in September. I am fortunate to have enough seniority to guarantee me employment but, I also need to find an opportunity that is good for me and, by extension, best for my future students. Additionally, the final decision lands with Principals who really don't know me well.

After an unsuccessful first round, I needed some time to regroup. I didn't want to ruminate too much (and certainly not too negatively). My first listen to this record was at the gym on the elliptical. I escaped into it as I puffed and trudged my way through some tedious, but necessary, cardio. I then gave it a listen while working on some coding for a PD session I am facilitating this summer. My third listening is happening right now.

In my last post I acknowledged that I would probably never listen to the album (Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx) again. This one is falls at the other end of the continuum. I'll play this one a few more times this week.

Give it a spin and, if you have time, listen to the excellent conversation about it on Josh Adam Meyer's The 500 Podcast. His guest, actor & comedian, Baron Vaughn is a natural and engaging storyteller.










No comments:

Post a Comment