Sunday 11 October 2020

The 500 - #401 - Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers

I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by Los Angeles-based comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 

(On September 14, 2020, Rolling Stone released an updated version of The 500 List. I am sticking with the 2012 edition and, when I get through it, I'll circle back and discuss the new additions to the list.)

This blog post also marks my hundredth in this series. I'll post about the first 100 soon.

Album # 401

Album Title: Californication
Artist: Red Hot Chili Peppers
Genre: Funk Rock, Alternative Rock
Recorded: Cello Studios - Los Angeles, California
Released: June, 1999
My age at release: 33
How familiar was I with it before this week: Fairly
Song I am putting on my Spotify Mix: Around the World

There is an expression I've always liked: 
"Show me who you're with and I'll show you who you are."
I suppose I like this quote because it casts me in a positive light because my friends are kind, clever, generous and, perhaps most importantly, funny.

Paul Dawson is no exception. 

Paul and I met in the autumn of 1982 at a house party in the east end of London, Ontario. A part of the city, East of Adelaide (EOA) as it is known, which came with a reputation -- blue collar, tough and hard scrabble...even dangerous.
East of Adelaide Book, published in 1989
My friends and I were from the middle class areas of Westmount and Byron on the opposite side of the city. However, as we walked down the steps of a small bungalow into a crowded, smoke-filled, wood-panelled basement, we surmised how we were being perceived. 

We were interlopers...spoiled rich kids who had no business in this end of town. Again, that is what we thought.

These supositions were, of course, entirely in our heads. These East-end rockers were behaving exactly like most teenagers do...standoffish, skeptical, suspicious and painfully cool. Sure, we were "the unknown", but we had been invited to this gathering and, in short order, we found ourselves socializing and, in several cases, making friendships.

Just as I was getting comfortable, Paul arrived. He was a giant of a man, he was only 18 but he looked like an full grown adult --standing over six feet tall with a head full of thick, black hair. He thundered down the stairs with confidence and was welcomed by many of the partygoers. It was clear he was popular with this crew.
Paul (Circa 1983)
It wasn't long before he made his way across the room to me. His first words were, "So, I hear you're a Dungeon Master?" 

Plainly, he was referring the fantasy role-playing, game Dungeons & Dragons which I played every Sunday with the same group of friends who were at the party with me. 

"Uhm, yes," Expectantly, I paused for an insult, perhaps a joke or sarcastic barb. Playing "D&D" was not considered cool in the early 80s and I was quiet about in most high school social circles.

"Cool", he responded brightly, "I've always wanted to play. Can I join?" With those few sentences, a 38-year friendship was forged.
The reason I mention Paul in the context of Red Hot Chili Peppers (RHCP) is because it was he who introduced me to the band. He discovered them in the mid-80s, long before they achieved mainstream success. Paul, a bass player, was fascinated by the work of Chili Peppers' bassist Michael Peter Balzary...aka: Flea. 
Paul is well known in our friendship circle for his unusual, but comically charming, non-sequiturs. It is one of my favourite things about his humour. One day, while sitting in his living room, he turned to me abruptly and said: "True Men Don't Kill Kie-yotes". I would later learn it was a reference to an early RHCP song entitled, True Men Don't Kill Coyotes. (Coyotes pronounced Kie-Yotes)
While I was still trying to figure this out, Paul pushed in a VHS cassette into the player on his television, which was cued up to this interview with Flea and Chili Pepper singer Anthony Kiedis. Paul had recorded it earlier from a broadcast on Much Music Television. It included, in true Paul non-sequitur fashion, an entirely different Chili Peppers' song at the end -- Jungle Man from their 1985 album Freaky Styley
When it finished playing he said, "I like these guys." I had to admit, I did too and became a fan. Eventually, I owned the band's entire catalogue, up to and including their 1995 release One Hot Minute. However, as their popularity grew, their music became an overplayed staple on rock radio stations. In fact, if you listen to FM96 (London's Rock Radio Station) for more about an hour, you can likely win money with the wager: "I'll bet we hear a Pepper's song". 
Eventually, I grew a little tired of the band's sound and my interest waned. This record, Californication, boasts six singles (all played regularly on FM 96) -- so I am familiar with it. However, over the past week, I have listened to all the tracks and I admit my interest has been renewed. This is an entertaining record.

And Paul? We are still friends. I reached out to him to clarify details for this story and he sent me the Much Music link that is included above, as well as picking the song for The 500 Spotify Playlist I am curating. After working for the Ford Motor Company for over two decades, Paul is now an educator, teaching construction and woodwork at Lord Dorchester Secondary School near London. I'm sure his teenage students enjoy his comedy and non-sequiturs.
Paul in October 8, 2020 wearing his
Van Halen Crew shirt to commemorate
the passing of Eddie Van Halen 




No comments:

Post a Comment