Sunday 18 October 2020

The 500 - #400 - Anthology - The Temptations

I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by Los Angeles-based comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 

(On September 14, 2020, Rolling Stone released an updated version of The 500 List. I am sticking with the 2012 edition. When I get through it, I may circle back and discuss the new additions.)

Album # 400

Album Title: Anthology
Artist: The Temptations
Genre: R&B, Soul, Disco, Funk, Psychedelic Soul
Recorded: Motown Records
Released: Three Releases (1973, 1986, 1995) 
My age at release: 8
How familiar was I with it before this week: Somewhat
Song I am putting on my Spotify Mix: 
Papa Was A Rolling Stone

Usually, I am not a fan of "Greatest Hits" or "Compilation Anthologies" being put on The 500 list. I suppose it is because I see a conventional record as a piece of art, crafted by creators who have invested time and passion into everything from the order of the songs to the art on the front and back covers. Compilations often feel as if they have been assembled by the record company with the purpose of cashing-in on previously released material.
The original Temptations line-up (1965)
However, when it comes to The Temptations, an Anthology on this list makes perfect sense. It is an ideal way to encapsulate a 60-year career of a group that is the most successful R&B act of all time.
  • 15 Number One Singles
  • Three Grammy Awards
  • Two American Music Awards
  • A Soul Train Music Award
  • The Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award
  • Inducted into 
    • The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (1989)
    • The NAACP Hall of Fame (1982)
    • The R&B Hall of Fame (2013)
20 musicians have rotated through the band over the group's history. The Temptations have moved with the times by branching away from their Motown R&B roots to experiment with other musical genres such soul, funk, disco, rock and psychedelic fusion. Despite their longevity, the band continued to perform until the Coronavirus pandemic shuttered live venues. Otis "Big Daddy" Williams, the group's baritone, is the only surviving original member. He was also the guest on last week's episode of The 500 Podcast with Josh Adam Meyers. 
The story shared on the podcast that struck was the tragic tale of Motown Record Label's staff writer, Roger Penzabene. Penzabene wrote three hits for The Temptations, including I Wish It Would Rain and I Could Never Love Another (After Loving You). The songs, two of the most melancholy in The Temptations' expansive catalogue, were released in 1967. Penzabene crafted both from his own personal heartache. He had recently learned that his wife had been unfaithful and was leaving him. On January 31, 1967, a week after the release of I Wish It Would Rain, Penzabene took his own life. He was only 23.
Roger Penzabene (High School)

I've included that story because it is an opportunity to remind the reader that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. (The Crisis Services Canada helpline is always available at 1-833-456-4566 and the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255).

One can only despair at the talent that was lost to the world considering, at 23, he had already penned five hit songs for Gladys Knight, Marvin Gaye and The Temptations.

Although the Penzabene songs are beautiful, I selected Papa Was A Rolling Stone on my The 500 Spotify Playlist. In part, it was because I would always be reminded of the tragic death of a remarkably talented young man if I picked Penzabene's songs. Additionally, the "psychedelic period" for The Temptations is my fascinating and "Papa" is without question, my favourite Temptations' song. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment