Tuesday 2 July 2019

The 500 - #472 - George Michael - Faith


I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 

My plan (amended). 

  • 1 or 2 records per week & at least 2 complete listens.
  • A quick blog post for each, highlighting the important details and a quick background story.
  • No rating scale - just an effort to expand my appreciation.

Album # 472

Album Title: Faith
Artist: George Michael
Released: October, 1987
My age at release: 22
How familiar am I with it: Very Familiar
Song I am putting on my Spotify Mix:  One More Try (picked by my great teaching colleague Kim Asen)

Great Lyric:
I'm never gonna be your star
I'll pick up the pieces
And mend my heart
Maybe I'll be strong enough
I don't know where to stars
But I'll never find
Peace…(Kissing a Fool)

There was no escaping Wake Me Up Before you Go Go in the summer of 1984. The dance pop hit was ubiquitous and it arrived on the same year Much Music (Canada's MTV) debuted. Consequently, the video aired relentlessly and "Choose Life" shirts could be spotted everywhere - usually on teen girls.

As you might imagine - I was not a fan at 18 years of age. In retrospect, I know I was jealous and not just because George was alarmingly good looking. I was most envious when I discovered that he had penned the song Careless Whisper at the age of 17.  As a sax player, I quietly went about learning the iconic riff - usually in the music practice rooms buried in the back of our high school. I remember thinking, "it would be great if a girl wandered by and heard me play it" - but I was equally mortified by the prospect of my rocker friends catching me noodling out those notes ... badly (I never could quite get that beautiful tone).


I was surprised to see Faith make the cut on The 500 - I am a much bigger fan of the 1990 release Listen without Prejudice - Volume 1 and I think it is a better record. Granted, Faith was groundbreaking and the video for I Want Your Sex was daringly controversial & determinedly racy for the time...in fact, it was only aired late at night and was often preceded by a warning on the screen. Flirting with open sexuality in the heart of the AIDS crisis was certainly risque - perhaps even brash. The choice to include a shirtless Michael writing the words "Explore Monogamy" in lipstick on the back of girlfriend and video model Kathy Jeung seemed to send a mixed message and was, perhaps, a little too transparent an effort to seem genuine.
At the time, I was in University and working part-time as a server & driver at Fluffy's Pizza (Home of the Pizza Monster...I'm not kidding - I wore the costume). The restaurant had a "projection screen" television which was the size of a large armoire and MuchMusic was always aired when a game was not on. The bussing station gave me a clear view and I am not exagerating when I say that I saw that video at least 300 times. That, and Bad by Michael Jackson.
Me & my mullet in 1987 making Fluffy's Pizza 

I was tremendously saddened on Christmas Day, 2016 to learn of his early passing. He was an extraordinary talent and I am sure that there would have been a renaissance and tour in his future. I was even more gutted when I learned about his many charitable contributions (all anonymously given) to everything from AIDS research and Children's Charities. I also really liked this video from the BBC Red Nose Charity, filmed a few months before he passed. He demonstrates his silly side and a wonderful bit of self-depricating wit in an early version of the now popular Car Pool Karaoke with James Corden.

I'll remember him well and listen to his albums frequently. At the very least, I am reminded of his work every Christmas with the tradition of playing #Whammageddon. After two losing years, I tasted sweet victory in 2018. Here are the rules.


No comments:

Post a Comment