Thursday 4 July 2019

Do teachers really need to dress professionally?

Today, in an effort to ignore the sweltering heat of an Ontario-humid, July day I was scrolling through my Twitter feed and saw a discussion heavy post by Mr. Gupton @GuptonFCS_LHS with the heading.
I'll admit, the heat of the day got to me and I reflexively thought..."No!" 

I think I had a sense reaction. I may have been temporarily transported to my short, but awful stint, as a restaurant manager in North Toronto. 

White button down shirts, ties & jackets were mandatory at all times - even serving beers on the shadeless summer patio. The pace was always frenetic, so there was no point even taking off the jacket in the kitchen where the offices were located. That environment replicated a Dickensian workshop - cruelly cooled by a lonely oscillating fan that seemed only to served the surreal purpose of slightly agitating the fryer steam.
Arizona Coach Sean Miller comes to mind - and he gets to take off the jacket!

So, I gave it some more thought, and then read through the extensive thread that followed. Here's a bunch of opinions (some of which were echoed in that feed).

  • Dressing professionally means different things to different people. 
    • To some (including the owners of that terrible restaurant) it means white shirt, jacket and tie. 
    • To others (like an art, welding, phys. ed. or science teacher) it might mean something markedly different.
  • "Dressing the part" may help some people "feel the part" and that is certainly a benefit to them.
  • However, dressing in clothes that are comfortable may help other people "feel comfortable" and that is a benefit to them.
  • Young teachers in a high school setting may benefit from "looking the part" - so that's a consideration.
  • Consistency is important - I get that. Looking well groomed & well attired conveys a level of professionalism that helps establish a high standard of expectation...sure...I get that too. But...
    • Cost is an obstacle for some (especially new teachers who are carrying student debt). This needs to be considered.
    • Expensive, well-tailored suits might seem unfamiliar to some students. Is that educator making their position seem unattainable or unapproachable? 
    • Perhaps, the community in which the student lives, associates professional attire negatively? 
  • Here's one I've noticed. A white T-shirt and cargo shorts with Vans is too casual for a male teacher but, a short-sleeved white blouse with knee-length skorts with a pair of cute sandals is perfect for a female teacher. (Hmm - does the light floral print and the flowered strap on the sandal really make that much difference? (Clearly, I am referencing a criticism I once faced; but, its probably because I've never looked like this model) ;-)



I could add more, it was a terrific feed to read and, to coin a phrase from a former Grade 8 student, I found myself "semigree-ing" with many of my fellow educators' statements. I think professionalism is a matter of professional discretion. I think most teachers make good choices that fit them, and their community, perfectly well. Thanks for agitating my mind on this hot day Mr. Gupton & crew!



No comments:

Post a Comment