Thursday 4 July 2019

The 500 - #471 - Richard & Linda Thompson "I want to see the Bright Lights Tonight"


I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 

My plan (amended). 

  • 1 or 2 records per week & at least 2 complete listens.
  • A quick blog post for each, highlighting the important details and a quick background story.
  • No rating scale - just an effort to expand my appreciation.

Album # 471

Album Title: I want to see Bright Lights Tonight
Artist: Richard & Linda Thompson
Released: April, 1974
My age at release: 8
How familiar am I with it: Not at all
Song I am putting on my Spotify Mix:  I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight (Co-selected with Claudio S.)
Great Lyric:
You can be a gambler
Who never drew hand
You can be a sailor
Who never left dry land
You can be Lord Jesus
All the world will understand
Down where the drunkards roll. 

A few months ago, when I decided to start writing about these albums, I knew that I would encounter records with which I had limited familiarity.  However, even with Outkast's AqueminiBiggie's Life After Death,Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, I had a passing knowledge of the artist & genre. 

This 1974 British Folk Rock album was an entire mystery to me. I hadn't heard of Richard or Linda Thompson and no idea what to expect. As usual, I was pleasantly surprised. However, it took more than three listens for it to grow on me and, if it wasn't for a glowing endorsement by my chum Cladio (who helped pick the Spotify song), I may have stopped and missed out.
I am currently teaching Lego Robotics at Summer Numeracy Camps for 7-9 year olds. This morning, I needed to drive to Woodstock, Ontario (about an hour east of London) at 7:00 am. Traversing quiet, rural roads beneath a rapidly warming sun and alongside summer crops was the perfect backdrop for a final listen before writing this.
As it turns out, Richard Thompson was a member of the band Fairport Convention and I do know one of their songs: Who Knows Where the Time Goes? It's one of those funereal, folk-ballads that reminds me of either Joni Mitchell, or The Mamas & Papas, at their most morose. Even when I was a child, songs from that genre made me feel wistful and empty - like and old man who'd missed out on everything precious - except a sorrowful song that reminded him of things that were no longer possible. 

I had a childhood friend named Todd who loved the song Seasons in the Sun by Terry Jacks. I'd always listen patiently but, could never understand why we would choose that record when his mother's copy of Elton John's Crocodile Rock was sitting right beside it - full of silly, na-na-na-na-nah fun. 
This record certainly has several languid, forlorn entries ... particularly the painful torment of Withered & Diedbut, they are broken up by the infectiously catchy, uptempo groove of the title track, I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight

Not much more to say about this one - but I can share a few things I learned...



  • Richard Thompson became sober shortly after penning Down where the Drunkards Roll. It's a lyrically interesting song because it could be interpreted as a tragic commentary on alcoholism or, a celebration of the non-judgemental community that they share. It sits in perfect contrast to the celebratory optimism of the title track - almost like two sides of the "let's go out for some drinks" coin.
  • The 2004 Bonus CD (& Spotify version) contain a live version of The Calvary Cross which truly highlights Richard Thompson's guitar skills (and the reason Rolling Stone ranks him #69 on their list of greatest guitar players).
  • The album features the Crumhorn a bassoon-ish wind instrument from the Renaissance. (Bet you didn't know you were going to learn that word today?)






No comments:

Post a Comment