Saturday 9 March 2019

The Canadian U

I am going to have to relent...and technology is to blame.

I have tried to be a Canadian spelling purist.
  • I throw an axe
  • I catalogue information
  • I attend the theatre
  • I write a cheque
Most importantly, I respect the sanctity of the "ou' union. When I write about my neighbour who, rumour has it, harbours resentment about my labour.


When working on a computer, I have learned to accept that an unrelenting algorithm will always impose a red underline beneath each transgression. A scarlet ribbon of shame - bullying me into relenting. 

I honour it with good humour: for this is the colour of the (Canadian) flag I must bear.


However, sadly, I am slowly relenting on my Iphone and I think there is a conspiracy. 

My phone's predictive text algorithm has shut me out. This, despite its ability to learn so many new words - in particular my friend's nicknames and schools at which I teach.
  • I type Lu...it offers Lumpy
  • I type Tha...it proffers Thamesford
  • I type Jim...it suggests JimmyQuick
  • I type Ox...it proposes Oxbow
  • I type Ce...it pitches Ceaser
However, if I type the word favourite ... it offers me ...favorite. It stoically refused to default to my preference. 

I have switched my keyboard dictionary to Oxford English (UK). That has not solved the problem. 

There is a part of me, the stubborn part, that wants to continue to correct each instance. There is a part of me, the practical part, that realizes, it doesn't really matter. I need to accept the inevitable, after all,  

  • language is malleable (cheque or check will soon be obsolete) 
  • automation is relentless 
  • it really doesn't matter - as long as my message is clear.  









No comments:

Post a Comment