Wednesday 13 March 2019

Lost - Front Loading the Experience

In my last post I talked about launching a cross-curricular unit through subterfuge. I intentional build anticipation by telling students that I am in the process of "getting permission" from the Principal/Superintendent in order to do run a "Mystery Unit". Immediately after March Break, the teachers and I are revealing that the unit is built around the first season of the 2005 television series "Lost". The genesis behind using this unit, and relaunching it as a coach, is in this post from 2018.

I do need to justify over 20 hours of television watching. Consequently, I am keenly aware of the need to make tangible curriculum connections. I often suggest to colleagues that it is treated more like an interactive read aloud - full of intentional stops for discussion, debate and writing challenges.

This year, most of the students are in Grade 7, so I have detailed all of the expectations (over 25) from the Language Curriculum and have detailed them in this table.

The goal in the weeks leading up to the reveal is to front-load information that will maximize the viewing experience. The following activities are in the process of being completed. I'll expand on each in future posts.
  • Six Word Stories
  • Multiple Intelligences are explored through a series of quizzes from the Smart Options Workbook. Introduction Here
  • Lightning Talks using important terms from the series - eventually building a Fluid Word Wall on Padlet with a 6 Word Story GIF made on Giphy.
  • The True Colours Quiz. (This one is optional - but really well received if there is time to do it.)
  • An introduction to Blogging with Blogger.
  • An introduction to Edmodo as a social media platform for sharing ideas. 

The students have been doing terrific work. They are eager to find out why we are doing all this stuff - but they are participating and completing tasks with a sincere effort. 

In my next post, I'll share more details on each of these activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment