Sunday 17 March 2019

Teaching Transition

Two years ago, around this date, I learned that I had successfully applied for the role of Instructional Coach with my school board (TVDSB). I was excited. It was a change that I needed and it has not disappointed. I have loved working in this role.
  • I have been provided with exceptional professional learning opportunities.
  • I have been immersed in a collegial environment that is highly-engaged, richly-positive and forward-thinking. 
  • I have been given a shelf full of academic texts on a wide range of valuable subjects (literacy, mathematics, visible learning, leadership, etc.) and been provided with time to absorb & discuss them.
  • I have worked with dozens of passionate & dedicated educators in every elementary school grade (JK-8). Together, we have discussed pedagogy, created learning opportunities, witnessed student growth and made valuable mistakes. 
  • I have worked with 6 different administration teams and have a better understanding of the challenges they face and the different methods they use to approach Professional Development & School Culture.
Most educators will tell you that they get slightly better every year. This opportunity has fast-tracked that experience by at least ten years and I know I am better prepared for my own classroom than I have ever been.

About a week ago, I learned that all teaching members of our board's Learning Support Services (LSS) would be declared "surplus" and would be returning to the classroom. Ontario is going through some changes as the relatively newly elected Progressive Conservative government continues to place it's stamp on education - including budget cuts. Consequently, I have been asked to prepare for a return to a classroom in September.

I am fine with it. I'd be happy to continue as an Instructional Coach for another year but, I am also excited about the prospect of having my own group of students. My seniority level is high, so I am fortunate. I should be able to secure an interview for every available position to which I apply. 

I have been thinking about my priorities so that I can zero-in on a situation that is best for me, and therefore my future students.
  • No portable - I want a classroom. My frustrations with portables have been well documented. This is a non-negotiable, I'll give up many of the other priorities to guarantee myself a space in a classroom (with space, cupboards and a sink).
  • Good access to technology. I'd like to have access to a class set of Chromebooks for 60-100 minutes a day. I'd also like 6-8 permanent Chromebooks in the room ...and a couple IPads.
  • As a one car family, it is important that my school is either walking distance or on a bus route near my home (with no transfers required.) I live near downtown - so this opens many options.
  • Air conditioning in the school would be nice.
  • I think I want to return to Grade 8 or Grade 7/8.
  • Alternately, I think I could make a difference in Grade 5 or 6 particularly in mathematics.
There are so many other factors that might swerve me in a new direction. Teaching with other coaches or former colleagues who I know will make great partners is certainly something that could make me re-think my priorities.

Regardless, I know I need to head into this with a plan. I only have a few years left and I want to maximize my impact. 



No comments:

Post a Comment