Thursday 31 January 2019

The 500 - #500 - OutKast - Aquemini

I recently discovered a podcast called The 500 hosted by comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal is to explore Rolling Stone's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. Each week, he and his guests (fellow comedians, actors & musicians) will discuss a different album as he works his way backward to Number 1. Consequently, he knows his intended finish date - May 31, 2028 - when he hopes his guest will be Oprah Winfrey. As of my writing today, January 31, 2019, he is on album 487.

I remember reading this list, back when it was released in the early 2000's. It was my intention, even then, to explore some of the records more closely. However, as is often the case, a busy life got in the way. The discovery of this podcast has rekindled my interest and a Spotify account (which didn't exist in 2005) makes access far easier.

So, here's my plan.

  • 2 records per week & at least 2 complete listens.
  • A quick blog post for each, highlighting the important details and a quick background story.
  • No rating scale - just an effort to expand my appreciation.

Here we go...

Album # 500
Album Title: Aquemini
Artist: OutKast
Released: September, 1998
My age at release: 38
How familiar am I with it: Never heard it
Song I am putting on my Spotify Mix: SpottieOttieDopalicious
Great Lyric:
"Yes, when I first met my SpottieOttieDopalicious Angel,
I can remember that damn thing like yesterday,
The way she moved reminded me of a brown stallion horse with skates on."
Quick Hits:
Like most middle aged white guys, I discovered OutKast when Hey Ya! became a hit in 2003. I can remember hearing it at the gym and my Grade 8 students liked it. Much of what they wanted to listen to was not "classroom-friendly"; but, Hey Ya! easily made the cut. 

I really enjoyed discovering Aquemini. It is a record I would not have sought out on my own and the history behind the band and the record is entirely foreign to me. 

The Superbowl is in Atlanta this weekend and Big Boi is scheduled - I did predict Andre 3000 would make an appearance. We'll see? 

I do know that the term "crunk" is applied to the Southern Hip Hop sound - but I certainly don't know if this record counts. The teacher in me wants to "research it" ... but that seems like an entirely "uncrunk" thing to do.

I put the song Spottieottiedopaliscious in my new 500 Spotify mix - it has a Zappa feel to it, with a fantastic 70's groove. 

Overall, the lyrics make me think about the television show The Wire - which is #85 on the list of Stuff White People Like and likely my cue to end this blog.




Cool Thing I learned:
  • There are 43 musicians listed including Erykah Badu & CeeLo Green.
  • Before settling on Andre 3000 - Andre Benjamin used the handles Possum Aloysius Jenkins & Nookie Blossumgang the Third  How can that not make you like him?
Next:
#499 BB King - Live in Cook County Jail

No comments:

Post a Comment