Monday 21 January 2019

"I Love My Job" - but maybe it's because I'm not doing it right.

"I love my job."

I'm not saying that to pander or to appear virtuous or vainglorious. I thinking using words like virtuous & vainglorious might actually be the bigger crime here.

I'm not hoping to curry favour or position myself in better stead.

I'm not posturing as unique - I interact daily with teachers who are passionately connected to this profession.

I say it because those four words literally floated through my head as I left a school the other day.

I had just finished two periods working with an excited group of energetic Grade 4's and their innovative teacher. Together, we were tackling their first Project Based Learning experience, connected to Canadian Social Studies through a Multi-Media Tech Set I had created and shared.

Sure.. 
  • We might have bitten off more than we could chew.
  • The teacher and I hadn't been able to conference & support everyone that day.
  • There was much...much...more work to be done.
But...
  • Authentic learning was happening.
  • Engagement levels were high.
  • The students were clearly happy.
  • Literacy & Math connections? Abundantly evident!  
We, the teacher and I, both agreed that this was a valuable learning experience that was curriculum bound both for Social Studies, Learning Skills & Global Competencies. I look forward to sharing some of the results in future posts or through my Twitter feed.

So...

The words "I Love My Job" struck me as I walked to my car on a brisk, January afternoon. This was not the first time; as an Instructional Coach, I visit several terrific classes at four schools where fellow educators welcome me to try new things & demonstrate innovative approaches to learning. What's not to love?

Here's the thing.

I may not be doing my job correctly. 

Sure, I am busy every day working with teachers and their students. I am reading the books that I am given and I work hard to keep up with current pedagogy through articles, colleagues and my Professional Learning Network on Twitter. I am sharing the excellent professional development I have been receiving. I am continuing supporting teachers as they move from textbooks & worksheets to real-life, group problem solving strategies in mathematics and more.

However, I tend to work with the same group of teachers in the same group of classrooms. These teachers have granted me an open-door invitation and operate with a growth mindset when it comes to new learning and innovative opportunities. They say things like...
  • Can you come start some coding with me and my class?
  • Is there a better way to do this unit on measurement?
  • What's the next step regarding the new math document from the PC government?
  • Can you help me with the Prime Assessment Tool to help guide my math program?
  • Can we talk about (Hyperdocs, Project Based Learning, differentiating my instruction....)
In other words, I am working with teachers who see the value in professional dialogue and purposeful change to their practice. If I wasn't available, I am certain that these educators would go to another resource to determine the answer to their questions and they would tap other individuals (colleagues, support staff, administration) to help them tackle challenges. I am, as the adage goes, "preaching to the converted."

Recently, I was reminded...

"You need to be a pebble in the shoe."
In other words, my job is to disrupt the status quo and perhaps even make colleagues a little uncomfortable so that they can't ignore me and have to make a change. I can't be passive when it comes to working with teachers - I have to find ways to spark conversations and get them to invite me into their pedagogical mindset and their classrooms. I need to react when I see things that run contrary to the direction that has been mapped out by our Ministry, Board and their School Improvement Team.

However, as someone also shared...

"A pebble usually gets dumped out of a shoe and left on the side of the road."
  • I'll continue to be a respectful colleague who recognizes that every teacher brings a wealth of knowledge, a unique perspective and passion for working with children.
  • I need to remember that I'm not the only touchstone of good practice. Just because I haven't worked with a teacher, it doesn't mean that they are not already employing fantastic, 21st Century instruction.
  • I need everyone to realize that I know I am not an employer or principal. It is not my intention to evaluate, assess or make judgments - (even though that is something that all of us do every day).
  • I need to make sure that I don't make comments that could be seen as evaluative or judgmental. We are both members of the Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario and equals.  
So, What's next?

I'm not sure...I'll let you know soon - but any feedback is helpful.






2 comments:

  1. Marc ~ You have just beautifully articulated the inner soul searching of every educator who has been a member of a system team. We all question the impact that we're having and whether or not we're doing the "right" work with the "right" individuals. Others continue to look for ways to quantify and measure our impact. I can't help but wonder if the qualitative measures (the narratives of the individuals who have been impacted by our work) need to be explored, respected and appreciated more. I think that the pebble in the shoe analogy is an interesting turn of phrase. Do we truly need to be an irritant in order to make a difference? I can't help but wonder if that is coming from a fear mongering mindset. We often say that we may not know the impact that we had in the life of a student during their time with us ~ it may become evident later in their educational journey. Could we not use that same train of thought in our work. Just because we are not directly working with an educator does not mean that they are not watching, thinking, reflecting, learning from their colleagues who are working with coaches, LCs, etc. Plus the work that you're doing with educators who are willing coming to the learning table may be the key to those educators having the confidence to one day explore a system leadership role. I'd much rather see the pebble analogy used as casting a pebble into water and watching the ripple effects of your work as a coach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I thought I had responded - but it is gone.
      It was a stream of conscience style answer - so I am not sure what I said now.

      I know that I celebrated your turn of phrase on the pebble and that I reflected on an experience today with a different Grade 4 educator who brainstormed pedagogy with me this afternoon. I guess I need to be a spark for discussion more often. I think I need to start tossing more pebbles to get some ripples going. Thanks again for taking the time to read and respond so meaningfully.

      Delete