Thursday 15 April 2021

The 500 - #374 - Siren - Roxy Music

I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by Los Angeles-based comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone Magazine's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 

Album # 374

Album Title: Siren
Artist: Roxy Music
Genre: Art Rock, Glam Rock, Art Pop
Recorded: AIR Studios, London
Released: October, 1975
My age at release: 10 (Guest blogger, Doug Hampson, was 16)
How familiar was I with it before this week: One Song
Song I am putting on my Spotify Playlist: Love Is The Drug

Last November, posted about album #396 on The 500, For Your Pleasure, by British Art Rock band Roxy Music. The post included a contribution from my long-time friend Bill Gudgeon who worked as an FM Radio disc jockey and band manager in the 1970s. Within minutes of the blog hitting my social media feed, I received a call from Doug, a friend I met 20 years ago through Bill.

Doug Hampson enjoying his favourite pasttime.
"I just read your Roxy Music post," Doug began, "I have a great story about that band." As he shared his tale with me, I quickly looked at The 500 List to discover that Roxy Music had another record, Siren, their fifth release, at position #374.

"Would you be willing to share that story next April, Doug?" I asked.

"Absolutely," he replied enthusiastically and, even through the phone line, I could imagine his face with the familiar grin my friends and I have all come to love from the guy we call "Dougie".  

Doug plying the waters of Ontario

From Doug:

On February 8, 1975, at the tender age of 16, I went to my first real concert. It was Roxy Music at the London Arena in London, Ontario. The only thing I knew about the group was the song Mother of Pearl from their third record, 1973's Stranded.
Album Cover for Stranded by Roxy Music (1973)
During the winter of 1975 I was a member of a local Boy Scout troop. Our fearless leader, Scout Master Larry, announced he was working security for the upcoming Roxy Music concert. He suggested that the concert would be an excellent outing for our troop and he would be able to monitor our safety while working at the show.
London Arena (1920) from The Western Archives

We couldn’t believe we were going to have this opportunity. We had to make preparations and began saving money in earnest. As luck would have it, we ended up with enough cash for our tickets, with money to spare. 
A partial ticket stub from the London show 
So, we did what most teenagers in the 1970s would do; we bought a bag of marijuana. One of the more experienced members of our group rolled the entire contents into doobies (marijuana cigarettes) and, after sneaking it past security, we each received three joints. 

With the passage of time, and perhaps those three joints, my memory about the event is a bit of a blur. However, I vividly remember the start of the show. The house lights dimmed and Roxy Music took the stage. The first five members were long-haired and freaky-looking. They went to their respective instruments and began playing. After a minute or two, out strolled a dashing man in a tuxedo. All I could think was, "Who the hell is this guy?"
Roxy Music (1975)
Then he started singing. What a voice! I later learned this was Bryan Ferry, founder, lead singer and principal songwriter for Roxy Music. But, I wasn't interested in details at the time; I was too busy having the time of my life on this "scout-sanctioned" outing. That feeling of excitement about live performances has never gone away. I still experience the same anticipation and electric delight when I attend a concert to this day.  Thanks, Larry.

More from me:

Roxy Music went on to release this week's album, Siren, eight months after the London performance. It featured one of their biggest hits, Love Is The Drug, which peaked at #2 in the UK and #3 in Canada. The video features Ferry dressed in a British air pilot's uniform, while sporting a gold and black eye-patch. This wasn't a fashion choice. Ferry had injured the eye a few days before the scheduled video shoot. Regardless, it created a buzz among Roxy Music devotees and many began to arrive at their concerts wearing the eye-patch as an accessory. 
Bryan Ferry in the Love Is A Drug video
Roxy Music released eight records between 1972 and 1982 before disbanding. Ferry continued with a successful solo career, while the other members found success with other bands. The group would reunite multiple times between 2001 and 2011 before declaring that they were disbanding permanently.
Roxy Music inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
In 2014, they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by John Taylor and Simon Le Bon of the group Duran Duran, who, like dozens of other artists, cite Roxy Music as a formative influence. 







2 comments:

  1. I really like Bryan Ferry and the early Roxy albums. I have to spin this one up again. The story from Doug Hampton blows me away. What a cool Scout Master to give those kids an experience like that! My Scout masters were all about earning badges. That is an experience of a lifetime! Such a good blog. A treat to read and replay the music. Definitely worthy to be the top 500. Rolling Stone should publish this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. I arrived in London too late to see the old "London Arena". I looked at the concerts that came to it that year... Rush on the Fly By Night Tour, Genesis on the Trick of the Tale tour. Quite a venue!

      Delete