Sunday 4 April 2021

30 Day Challenge #3 - Meatless March

This is the third entry in my series of monthly challenges. In January, I quit alcohol and sugar and reported on the things I learned. In February, I took the 100 push-up challenge, logging at least 100 push-ups, usually in four sets of 25, every day for 30 days and wrote about it here

An Update

A quick addendum to last month's post. I have some regrets about doing 100 push-ups a day. I needed to visit my osteopath twice in the to try to fix some back issues. When Darren, my osteopath, learned of my challenge he bluntly stated: "That wasn't a good idea".  

The David Clinic in London, Ontario
It seems I over-developed my pecs without compensating for the strain that would put on my back. Additionally, overworking the serratus muscles, along the back of the rib cage. Darren recommended a workout regimen from Russian author and weightlifter, Pavel Tsatsouline, which is detailed in his book Enter The Kettlebell

Rather than working on a group of muscles to their maximum on a daily basis, Tsatsouline's system constantly surprises your body which uses kettlebells. However, the fundamentals of the program can be applied to other exercises, such as push-ups. Consequently, I adapted my workouts in March and I think I'll start investing in kettlebells this summer, rather than renewing my gym membership. The savings from one will eventually offset the other.

Meatless March

Although I intended to adapt to a pescatarian diet this month, instead of meat, I really didn't end up eating that much fish. Instead, I embarked on a a mainly vegetarian diet which included about a dozen eggs and a couple cans of tuna over the 31 days.

My main source of protein came from beans and nuts. I made, and purchased, a lot of bean burritos. Burger King also introduced its plant-based Impossible Whopper, so I enjoyed the "fast-food" experience a couple times too.

The meatless Impossible Whopper - now available in Canada
What I learned

Of the three monthly challenges I have taken so far, March was the easiest. Because I like vegetables and beans, making the switch was effortless. It was just a matter of choosing not to consume meat products. I've also been enjoying vegetarian lunches for a few years now, so most of my day was the same.

I plan to continue being "mainly meatless" and I will certainly abstain from any "cheap" or "processed" meats. No more frozen pepperoni pizzas or chicken nuggets, even when they are on sale at Costco. My meat purchases will be fewer, and will come from local, sustainable sources. 

Today, I registered for the wait-list for my Covid vaccine. This made me pause and think about the many zoonotic (animal based) pandemic threats we are likely to face if we don't change our ways. Covid 19 likely came from a wet-market in Wuhan, China. The next could be from a factory farm in Nebraska or Kansas. Collectively, we need to consume less meat. I'm not gong to climb on a soapbox and try to persuade others. I'll just work on the change within my control.

Final Notes

Despite my dietary choices, I gained weight this month because I increased my intake of carbohydrates and sugars. If I am going to continue with this meatless plan, I will have to restrict the comfort-food-carbs and refined sugars my body seems to crave. 

One thing I won't change and that is continuing to be an agreeable dinner guest. When we return to a time when we can break bread with each other, I will enjoy any meal a friend or family member serves up. 

Next Up

In April, I am doing a 15 to 30-minute stretching routine every day. Let's see how that treats me! I'll update next month. 




 


2 comments:

  1. I love your desire to improve yourself and your attention to how you eat affects you and the planet. Sugar is the silent killer but I struggle giving it up. The push routine sounds brutal. Maybe just 1 set with some stretching ? More stretching as we get older is so much better than push ups. You’ll be sore but limber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm six days into a daily stretching routine. I am actually getting better at it faster than I thought I would. Thanks again for reading.

      Delete