Sunday 6 October 2019

The 500 - #459 - The Drifters - Golden Hits


I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 

My plan (amended). 

  • 1 or 2 records per week & at least 2 complete listens.
  • A quick blog post for each, highlighting the important details and a quick background story.
  • No rating scale - just an effort to expand my appreciation.

Album # 459

Album Title: Golden Hits
Artist: The Drifters
Released: 1968
My age at release: 2-3
How familiar am I with it: Fairly-to-Well
Song I am putting on my Spotify Mix: Save the Last Dance
Great Lyric: 
Oh I know that the music's fine,
Like sparkling wine, go have your fun.
Laugh and sing but while we're apart,
Don't give your heart to anyone.
But don't forget who's taking you home
And in whose arms your going to be.
So Darlin', save the last dance for me.

Arriving on the heels of my two-week immersion into the improvisational anarchy of Metal Box by P.I.L. and the grungy discontent of Live Through This by Hole, The Drifter's Golden Hits was like a calming breeze. 

I enjoyed my first listen through this record on a pleasant Sunday evening drive through the Ontario countryside with my wife. At one point, between songs, she turned to me and remarked, "It's just such gentle, lovely music - it makes you feel like everything is going to be fine." 

Although this compilation record is made up of hits from the late 50s and early 60s, I am most familiar with this sound from the 80s revival. It seemed that, during the late 80s, multiple big budget movies were heavily influenced by doo wop, R&B and early Rock and Roll music. It was a weird phenomenon. I suspect it is because film makers and writers, who were likely 40-50 years old, were feeling nostalgic. 

Dozens of movie released during this time were...
  • Set in the 50s or 60s - Good Morning Vietnam, Dirty Dancing
  • Named after a 50s or 60 song - My Girl, Lean on Me
  • Featured a revival of a song from that period - Top Gun, Ghost
  • Was a combination of all three - Stand by Me


Consequently, when I hear this music it transports me to my late teens and early 20s, even though I wasn't alive when most of it was released. I like that. It's as if I get to share in an emotional memory that truly belongs to people twenty years my senior. 

Things I learned.

  • The Drifters were really just a product of the studio system. There were over 60 vocalists who were part of the band and many of them were grossly underpaid for their work.
  • Billboard's R&B Charts were called The Top Black Albums until 1978.
  • Carole King wrote "Some Kinda Wonderful"





No comments:

Post a Comment