Monday 26 August 2019

The Back Half of the Back Nine - Part One - Tabula Rasa

Last week, I gained access to my new classroom. I suspect it will also be my final classroom. I've moved enough and, although I won't say the "R-word", I'll use golfing parlance and say: "I am on the back half of the back nine". When I began this blog, I named it The 50-20 in deference to my age (I was turning 50) and the number of years I had been teaching (I was entering my 20th). Now, at 54 and 24, I feel this overwhelming desire to get everything right.

Most people want to "get it right" whether they are trying something new or getting a fresh start. But, this time, my emotional experience has been palpable. I'm planning on taking plenty of chances this year and I am putting 23 years' of experience into this adventure. However, I approach it with trepidation because I know the first few weeks are key to building relationships with new students.
  I learned so much during the past two years as an Instructional Coach. 
It provided me with...
  • hours of high quality professional development presented by experts in mathematics, literacy and pedagogical practice.
  • the opportunity to work with a highly-engaged coaching team as well as many passionate teachers in our board. 
  • the chance to visit dozens of classes, from Kindergarten to Grade 8, and learn something new with every visit.
  • the time to read and discuss a wide range of articles and books provided to me by my supervisory team.
However, I was most moved by the opportunity to collaborate with TVDSB Learning Coordinator Rick Pardo and learn about the school in a school approach to education. I also had a chance to connect with the Intermediate Educators from Summer's Corners Public School who have embraced successfully this pedagogical trajectory. 

Now, I am ready to take the next step and build on the Project Based Learning, Genius Hour, Passion and Inquiry-based approaches that I explored with my last classroom in 2017. I hope to engage my students by encouraging them to be stakeholders in their own education. I am moving away from the dissemination of knowledge and facts but encouraging them to expand their understanding of local and global issues and making them realize that they can impact positively their own community.
"I want to uncover the curriculum with my student, not cover it."
Right on cue, the pre-school, August teacher nightmares have begun. It's a fairly universal experience for teachers:
  • You're late and can't get your fingers press the buttons on your cellular phone to call in.
  • You keep getting lost and delayed in a labyrinth of corridors that somehow connect your former high school to every school you've ever taught at.
  • You may have forgotten your pants and you certainly have no plan for today.
  • Your students are beyond unruly - they are defiant and hostile on a level that makes the Attica Prison Riot seem like a tea party. 


However, I remain cautiously optimistic, bolstered by some unexpected encouragement. After spending two days clearing and organizing my new classroom - I shared a short video of my room with a Tweet. It said:
"Starting the year with a community circle. Nothing on the walls. After some Ice Breakers that respect introverts, the first challenge is...Where do we put the desks, mine included, and how do we move them regularly in a way that respects the floor and the class below us?"   
It received more than 20,000 impressions with 8,000 views, 300 Likes, 35 Retweets and 19 Comments. I'll admit, there is an endorphin rush that comes with that much affirmation. It has also buttressed my confidence as I continue planning for the first week of school.

The most common inquiries were about "Icebreakers that respect Introverts". I will detail the approach in my next post - after I try them out with my students.



No comments:

Post a Comment