Monday 5 August 2019

Breakout in Boston (A story in 3 parts)

This is Part Two of my "I'm stuck inside with the Shingles" series. Part One can be found here.

In 2010 when my wife and I vacationed in Boston, we gorged on seafood at every opportunity: Lobster, Oysters, Shrimp and, of course, New England Clam Chowder!
I had purchased a new Under Armour T-shirt at an outlet mall on the way through Massachusetts. It was a hot, August day and my back began to feel a little itchy - particularly under my backpack. I dismissed it. It was probably just the fabric (likely still covered in factory chemicals), the heat of the day and the friction of my backpack.
Found a picture - Boston, Under Armour, Clam Chowder
When we got back to the hotel room, I lifted my shirt and innocently asked my wife, "does my back look red?" 

I can't remember exactly what she said, but it was obvious from her reaction that there was a problem. I went to the bathroom mirror to look. My entire upper torso back & chest were covered in small, red lumps. It was like I was forming a suit of red, blister armour. 

Trying to be optimistic I said, "Maybe I'm getting super powers...should I use them for good or evil?"

It must be the seafood. Other members of my family have a shellfish allergy - maybe I'm suceptible too. We debated a trip to a hospital but, with the exception of a mild burning sensation, I was fine. We had purchased traveller's insurance but you instictively know that you are just inviting red tape and paperwork. Plus, we were about to head to Fenway Park to see a Red Sox game.


The next day we travelled to Salem and learned about the witch trials. I also snapped this picture of one of the original houses and noticed later that the light makes it look like there is a ghost in the bottom right window.



We returned to London and, over two or three days, it disappeared. I did go in for an allergy test and the doctor concluded that I had a mild response to shellfish and dust - but nothing that should have caused a massive reaction. I was taking antibiotics when in Boston so he suggested that this may have compromised my immune system and made me more susceptible.

So, as I hiked along the Bruce Trail last Tuesday, I began to reflect on the pain I was feeling on my back and side.
  • It couldn't be a sunburn, poison ivy or an injury.
  • Our friends are pescatarians...so we had devoured a lot of seafood - including shellfish.
  • I must be having that reaction again.
It must have felt like deja vu for my wife when I lifted my shirt and asked her to look. It wasn't as bad but, there was certainly a red rash forming. This time, there were no antibiotics involved. Perhaps I was allergic to shellfish. That was a depressing prospect.

I'm not...that story in Part 3


No comments:

Post a Comment