Sunday 7 April 2019

Take the Test

Last week, the Ontario Government passed legislation requiring all new teaching graduates to pass a mathematics test before receiving their teaching certification. Premier Ford has also suggested that the government was considering expanding that requirement so it applied to all teachers every year.
"I have an idea: Why don't we test all the teachers, rather than just new ones, on learning how to deliver math?" he said during question period.
A colleague and I were discussing this the other day and he is all for it. His primary argument makes sense - we should know the math we are teaching. However, we concluded our chat with some skepticism - will this be executed effectively. Like many bold statements from government officials - this is one of those soundbites that seem to make good common sense - but are rife with issues and require a good understanding of many nuances. 

  •  It will be expensive - proctors, scheduling, classrooms, marking, etc. Is that the best use for this money? 
  • Is it a test of a teacher's ability to do math or to teach math? How does one test "teaching ability" in a single session? Our board already has Principals evaluate teacher efficacy every five years (and that is a multi-day prospect).
  • Does the teacher only have to successfully meet the expectations for the grade they are teaching? Do kindergarten teachers simply need to demonstrate that they can count to five?
  • If you don't teach math - do you still need to take the test? Imagine removing an exceptional art, history or biology teacher from a school because they can't remember quadratic equations.
  • There is some suggestion that it will be administered annually. "So, if I pass the test in 2019 ... the assumption is that I will forget those skills in a calendar year?"
I was an English and History major - but I have a university mathematics credit (I had to get one for my first degree). I was not a great math teacher when I began in this profession. I often joke that I need to find the students who were in my classrooms during the early 00's and apologize to them. The truth is that, although I wasn't great, I also wasn't awful. I used the curriculum and text books and learned from my mentors. The Crosby, Stills & Nash line from "Suite:Judy Blue Eyes" always assuages my conscience. "Don't let the past remind you of what you are not now."


In the past two years, I have been fortunate to receive exceptional Professional Development and I know that when I return to the classroom I will be an even better mathematics educator than I was two years ago. I will also continue to improve and I will leave this profession at the top of my game. 

Mr. Ford, I encourage you to take the money you plan to spend on testing teachers and invest it into providing them with the same PD I have received. 

No comments:

Post a Comment