Saturday 6 April 2019

The 500 - #486 - Earth, Wind & Fire - That's the Way of the World

I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 

My plan. 

  • 2 records per week & at least 2 complete listens.
  • A quick blog post for each, highlighting the important details and a quick background story.
  • No rating scale - just an effort to expand my appreciation.

Album # 486

Album Title: That's the Way of the World
Artist: Earth, Wind & Fire
Released: March, 1975
My age at release: 9
How familiar am I with it: Somewhat
Song I am putting on my Spotify Mix: Shining Star
Great Lyric:
"Child is born with a heart of gold
Way of the world makes his heart so cold"



I am not sure when I first heard this record or knew the name of the band. I do remember seeing the album cover for All 'n All and being fascinated by it. It was distinctly Egyptian and that was a time when I had a growing interest in ancient civilizations and mythology.

In the mid-seventies, I lived in St. Catharines, Ontario. I had two best friends, Glen and Uzoma. They lived several streets apart and went to different schools - so I rarely saw them together. They were both great chums with different interests. 

Glen's favourite thing to do was to build - like the go-cart that we raced, crashed and repaired for a whole summer. He liked hockey and the Batman television series. He also loved to explore the construction sites in the new subdivision that was being built. This was also where we "found" things for his many projects.

Uzoma obsessed with American Football and, if I allowed it, would want to play catch with a football for hours. I can still throw a pretty good spiral from all the time we spent in our backyards. He also loved table-top hockey, Adam 12 and the board game Careers.

Uzoma's family was living here temporarily. His father was a visiting professor from Nigeria and was working at Brock University. He had a much older sister who was always really nice to us. On Saturday afternoons, shortly after morning cartoons ended, she would take over the television to watch the show Soul Train. If you haven't seen it, click that last link, it is an awesome slice of seventies nostalgia.

I distinctly remember standing in their wood-paneled basement, waiting for Uzoma (who had likely gone to find his football) when his sister raced into the room. Seconds, and a few clicks of the television dial, later - she was swaying and grooving. Everything was unfamiliar...the clothes, the dancing, the hair, the music. It was also the first time that I had seen that many black people on a television show. As strange as it seems, It was the first time I recognized that there were television shows for people of a different race. Uzoma was my age... 7, maybe 8, and he liked all the same stuff I liked. His sister was at least 12 or 13 and it was clear that she connected with this show.

I liked the music. I have no idea what song was playing on that particular episode - but I have always associated Earth, Wind & Fire with it. Heavy bass, African rhythms, horns, falsetto vocals - there was so much going on. It would be years before I would purchase a record from that genre - it was a single - Stevie Wonder's Sir Duke

We moved from St. Catherines when I was 9 and, as you might expect, Glen, Uzoma and I lost contact. Years later, we reconnected through social media and I learned that his sister had passed away due to cancer.  

When I listened to"That's the Way of the World" all of these memories came back - not all at once - in little bursts like fireflies on a dark night. Glen, go-karts, BatmanAdam 12, Soul Train, CareersUzoma and his sisterI like that she stays forever young in my mind - full of life, smiles and happiness...dancing in front of a television screen.







No comments:

Post a Comment