I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by New York-based comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone Magazine's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.
Album: #90
Album Title: Talking Book
Artist: Stevie Wonder
Genre: Progressive Soul, Funk, Soul, Jazz
Recorded: 4 Studios - New York, Hollywood, Los Angeles, London
Released: October, 1972
My age at release: 7
How familiar was I with it before this week: Fairly
Is it on the 2020 list? Yes, at #112 - dropping 21 spots
Song I am putting on my Spotify Playlist: Superstition
There are times when sticking to your principles can be a real pain. Case in point, Stevie Wonder recently announced that he and his band are going on tour, and not just any Stevie Wonder tour. He is celebrating the 50th anniversary of Songs in the Key of Life, with dates in New York, Chicago, and Detroit, a city a mere 200 km from my home. As of now, though, there is no Toronto date. No Montreal date. In fact, no Canadian date at all.Detroit is tantalizingly close and, under normal circumstances, my friend Terry and I would be checking the calendar and figuring out dinner options in Motown. But these are not normal circumstances.I've decided that until relations between Canada and the United States improve I'm going to avoid travelling to the U.S. and spending my money there. I don't pretend that missing a Stevie Wonder concert will register as the faintest blip on the American economy. My principled boycott won’t make anybody in Washington lose sleep. It's simply something I feel I need to do. Let me be really clear: This isn't about Americans generally but their current federal government. Over the decades, I have met many wonderful Americans, some of whom I’m honoured to call friends. Additionally, I love visiting the United States where my godmother has lived for many years. I've crossed the border hundreds of times, attending concerts and sporting events, or just sightseeing and shopping. The accumulated memories of these visits have found their way into more than a few of these blog posts. Heck, my wife and I got married in New York City in 2006 and more than 40 members of our family and friends joined us, some extending their visit for a whole week.
![]() |
| Me and my lovely bride - August 18, 2006 in Battery Park, NYC. |
Donald Trump has repeatedly floated the idea of Canada becoming the 51st state and mockingly referred to our former prime minister, Justin Trudeau, as a "governor." He has also transferred the slight to our current prime minister, Mark Carney.More recently, he signed an executive order instructing the American government to refer to Lake Ontario as "Lake America." That one strikes particularly close to home. Ontario isn't merely the name of the province where I live. The name has Indigenous roots and was being used centuries before either Canada or the United States existed.
![]() |
| Lake Ontario Map from 1774, two years before U.S independence. |
![]() |
| Trump, flanked by Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, signing the USMCA agreement in 2018. |
And with that, I’ll climb off my political soapbox to reflect on Stevie Wonder’s second record of 1972, Talking Book. The first was Music Of My Mind, which was released earlier that same year.A second hit record in one calendar year sounds impressive enough. Then I realized that these were his 14th and 15th releases by an artist who was just 22 years old.
Twenty-Two!
When I was 22, I was still living in my parent’s basement. Sure, I was going to University and had a couple part-time jobs, but no one is talking about my creative output and groundbreaking innovations 50 years later…and I have the benefit of sight.
![]() |
| Me at 22, lifeguard by day, Pizza delivery driver by night. |
Side Note: Margouleff is the guest on the accompanying episode of The 500 Podcast and, while promoting his autobiography, shares his experiences working with Stevie as well as a comprehensive look at that revolutionary technology. For music engineering or synthesizer nerds, it is a rewarding deep dive.Another mind-blowing realization comes when one remembers that Wonder is not just a singer and piano player. On both of these 1972 records, he wrote the songs, produced the albums and played virtually every instrument himself. The music, the lyrics, the arrangements, the keyboards, the drums, the harmonica and ideas to create those strange new synthesizer sounds were pouring out of a kid.
![]() |
| Wonder in studio recording Talking Book. |
And, incredibly, Stevie was just getting warmed up.
Music of My Mind and Talking Book kicked off what is now widely referred to as Stevie Wonder's classic period, five critically acclaimed albums released in less than five years.
- Music of My Mind (1972) (#285 on The 500)
- Talking Book (1972) (#90 on The 500)
- Innervisions (1973) (#24 on The 500)
- Fulfillingness' First Finale (1974) (Grammy Award for Album of the year
- Songs in the Key of Life (1976) (#57 on The 500) and Grammy Award for Album of the year
![]() |
Help me out if you can?
What is your favourite four- or five-album consecutive run by a musician or band?
It doesn’t need to be critically acclaimed, just your own personal list.



.jpg)

.jpg)

.jpg)



.jpg)


.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment