Sunday 17 March 2024

The 500 - #221 - Loveless - My Bloody Valentine

I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by Los Angeles-based comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone Magazine's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 



Album: #221
Album Title: Loveless 
Artist: My Bloody Valentine
Genre: Shoegaze, Dream Pop, Noise Rock
Recorded: February, 1989 - September, 1991
Released:  November, 1991 
My age at release: 26
How familiar was I with it before this week: Not at all
Is it on the 2020 list? Yes, moving up 148 places to position 73
Song I am putting on my Spotify Playlist:
 Only Shallow
"Wow! That haircut makes you look so much younger."
"Geez, you're stronger than you look."
"You write a blog? I wish I had so much free time to do something fun like that."
"You went to The University of Windsor? I was going to go there, before I got accepted at Western."

The backhanded compliment -- casual remarks that seem to say something pleasant about a person, but have a twist easily inferred as an insult. We've all heard them and, likely, we've delivered a few of our own -- either accidentally or intentionally.
From 15 Compliments That Hurt More Than Insults - And
How To Deal With Them
There are also positive-sounding words that can be considered pejorative. Referring to someone as "assertive", "sensitive" and "idealistic" might convey they are “bossy”, “thin-skinned”, and “out of touch with reality”. Or imply more admirable qualities, such as "confidence", "thoughtfulness" and "an aspirational spirit".
The blessings and curses of being
highly sensitive.
When looking up the etymology of  "shoegaze" -- a subgenre of alternative rock characterized by a mixture of  loud, distorted guitars and obscure, ethereal vocals -- I discovered it, too, has alternative meanings. Shoegazing can be used as an insult, suggesting a band is uninspired, lacking enthusiasm and energy -- literally the performers staring at their shoes as they play. However, the word also defines an important musical movement that has its roots in ‘70s psychedelic rock, pioneered by Irish-English band My Bloody Valentine (often stylized in all lowercase letters or known by the initials MBV).
MBV are (clockwise from top left) Kevin Shields, Bilinda
Butcher, Colm Ó Cíosóig and Debbie Googe
MBV's second album, Loveless, took more than a year to record, utilizing 19 studios with multiple engineers at the soundboard helm. Much of the record was developed by vocalist and guitarist Kevin Shields who led the sessions as he experimented with sound. Shields used non-standard guitar tunings, digital samples and multiple production effects to create the unique sound that, for many, defines the shoegaze genre. The distinctive sound of Shields’ guitar was achieved by a modification on the instrument to allow him to manipulate his tremolo bar while also strumming. A tremolo bar (sometimes called a whammy bar, vibrato, vibrolo or wigglestick) is a metal rod that extends from the bridge of an electric guitar (where the strings connect on the guitar body). It can be manipulated to bend and distort sound and create effects such as  the scream of a dive bomber, a motorcycle roar, a squeal of delight, or animal sounds.
The first guitar I bought had a tremolo bar. As a 16-year-old hopeful musician, this was important because I wanted to recreate the sounds I'd heard from my guitar idols. Unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough to invest in lessons and the beginner guitar book I borrowed from the library was an inadequate substitute. The guitar I purchased was a Kay, an inexpensive student-grade, entry-level instrument. I got it from Woolco, a discount department located in a nearby mall and paid about $65 for it (about $260 in 2024 currency). It was money painstakingly saved from babysitting gigs and a part-time job where I worked 10 hours a week for $5.52 an hour (significantly more than minimum wage).
The headstock on a Kay guitar.
On the day I purchased it, I rode my 10-speed bicycle to the mall. I am sure I turned a few heads as I pedaled the five kilometres home, holding the guitar by its neck while steering one-handed. Ahh, the passionate impulsiveness of youth. That romantic, idealistic teenager seems like a stranger in a distant memory to me now. However, recalling moments like that guitar-laden bike ride home suddenly pulls him into sharp focus…and I miss him.

My bike ride home from Oakridge  Centre in London,Ont.

 Byron, Ontario

My guitar aspirations were put on pause about a year later when I sold my six-stringed “axe” to a high-school acquaintance. I was nearly thirty, when I returned to learning the instrument, encouraged by the arrival of the internet and a guitar-playing roommate.
My favourite, current guitar - a Jay Turser
acoustic - with no whammy bar.
Loveless went on to become a critical darling and is considered one of the greatest albums of all time on multiple lists (moving up to #73 on the updated 2020 list of The 500). It is also cited as a landmark work in the shoegaze genre. Clash magazine called the record "the magnus opus of shoegaze". Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins told Spin magazine that the record was exciting because "it is rare in guitar-driven music for someone to do something new."
So, what does "shoegaze" connote? It turns out that it carries many meanings. It can be used pejoratively to define a genre negatively. Or it can be understood as an evolutionary step in music technology and sound. However, my researched revealed a more practical etymology. When performing live, a shoegaze guitarist needs many “effect” pedals that can be manipulated with the feet. Consequently, to replicate the "studio sound", shoegazing is a necessity that became the nomenclature for the genre it created.

An array of foot effect pedals by which a guitarist manipulates

the instrument's sound.

MBV only released three studio records but, following a 10-year hiatus, they regrouped in 2013 with the classic line-up from Loveless. They are currently working on new material and Shields has hinted of another "experimental album" and "something more melodic and song oriented." As a new fan, I'll be sure to check both out.

No comments:

Post a Comment