Thursday 5 January 2023

#OneWord2023

For the eighth year, I am participating in the #OneWord challenge. However, I am most excited about what my students will do with the activities I have planned for them in another updated version of a lesson that has been a hit for six years. Also, for the first time in three years, we will complete these activities in person. The first week of school in January has been virtual since 2020.
For those unfamiliar, #OneWord is a social media movement in which individuals are encouraged to abandon the idea of New Year's Resolutions in favour of a single word -- One Word -- that centers their character and helps them focus on a vision for the next 365 days.
In the past, I have selected Revitalize, Mindfulness, Cultivate, Persist, Discomfort, Ameliorate & Appreciate.. I have had mixed success with my focus on each. Some years, the word is front-of-mind and I reflect on it often. Other years, it fades and has little impact on my day-to-day. Last year's word Appreciate was far superior to my pretentious choice to pick Ameliorate in 2021.
This year, I have chosen the word VITALITY. This word is certainly a reflection on my advancing age. In the past few years, I have “felt my age”. I’ve slowed down my activity, gained weight and lost flexibility. I could dismiss this as being an unfortunate biproduct of the Covid pandemic – applying buzz-worthy terms like, “Lockdown Malaise”, “Pandemic Pounds”, “Covid Kilograms” to justify my situation. But, I know I can do better.
I will think about VITALITY when I work to...
  • Go to the gym at least three times a week
  • Play hockey at least once a week (until spring)
  • Complete a Yoga With Adriene at least three times a week
  • Keep sugary & starchy foods out of the house
  • Replace bad eating habits with more water & better food choices
VITALITY is my #OneWord2023.

Thank you, I also appreciate you reading my post.

EDUCATION CONNECTION

I have curated a series of lesson for my students at this link

 https://bit.ly/onewordhyperdoc23

Educators are welcome to copy it and edit for their own needs. By the end of January, each of my students will have their own #OneWord that they will share in a banner made in the program Canva (similar to the ones I have made above). They will also create a Shapegram Snow Globe and share their thoughts. (see below).


No comments:

Post a Comment