Thursday 4 February 2021

30 Day Challenge #1 - "I went alcohol and sugar-free for January" What did I learn?

Every winter we are warned about the perils of over-indulging.  The health-conscious embark on an annual crusade to protect us from ourselves. For if December is sleigh bells, roaring fires and Christmas cheer then January surely follows with bloated bellies, swollen livers, shameful gloom, and promises to reform.

For years, I have smugly boasted of practising sobriety in January or, as it is known in the Social Media world, #DryJanuary. Admittedly, there was always a little bit of cheating involved.

I would start on the first Sunday before returning to school, which could be any date from January 2 - 7. "After all", I would justify, "I am still on vacation!"

Additionally, I would compensate for the lack of boozy-treats with sugary and savory distractions. Without a beer on Saturday, a double-cheese pizza and a few bowls of M&Ms were a fine replacement.

Often, my alcohol abstinence would ended prematurely. If the last Friday in January fell on the 26th and I'd had a tough week, I'd triumphantly announce (to my better instincts): "Good enough" and pour a dram. The siren song of the nearest liquor store summoned, and I would capitulate. Unlike Odysseus, this untethered and sober sailor was quickly dashed on the rocks and bourbon shores.

The abundant selection at a typical LCBO store.
This year was different. I committed to the full 31 days and added to my no-drink policy an abstinence from refined sugars and heavy carbohydrates (no bread, no rice, no pasta, no chips).

So, how did it go?

Wonderfully well. I am writing this on February 4 and have been dry for 35 days having avoided sugars with the exception of a day when my students and I baked cookies during remote learning.
Cookie Ingredients waiting for my virtual class to log in.

What did I learn?

Quitting alcohol was easy. Quitting sugars and carbs was a different story. I craved sweets or salty snacks, especially watching television in the evenings. Additionally, when I spotted anything sugary, I would desperately try to find any justification  or flimsy excuse that would allow me to take a bite. 

The day I made the cookies with my class I wisely baked only nine and froze the remaining dough. This was sagacious. I devoured those nine biscuits like it was my job.

After three days everything gets better.

Sleep is deeper and more restful. I awake energized after 7 hours in the sack. In fact, I started looking forward to sleep. As a friend who was a new parent once said to me: "Eight hours uninterrupted sleep is my new drug of choice."
My mind became sharper, and my mental acuity improved. I found myself quicker-witted and funnier. Due to Covid-isolation, most of my satire was shared through group texts. Sadly, the speed of my clever retorts were hampered by clumsy thumbs. Alas, comedy is tragedy, plus timing.
A significant benefit has been weight loss -- less than hoped for, but 4 kilograms is pretty good. Professional trainers tell us not to fixate on the number on the scale. Bottom line, I felt better, less bloated and my clothes seem to fit more comfortably. No doubt, my blood pressure has also improved.

Finally, I got a lot more done. Whenever I was bored or drawn toward eating -- I poured my energy into positive distractions. I prepared lessons, wrote report cards, played guitar, practised piano and Spanish, or crafted a blog post...like this one.

Coming up next, 100 push-ups a day for 30 days. Four days in, I'm confident of succeeding. I'll update in March.







6 comments:

  1. This was a great read. Thank you for sharing. Quitting anything is tough because of the cravings. I used to think that will power was the key until I recently read The Craving Mind by Jud Brewer which basically outlines the myth of will power and the chemical science behind cravings. It has been helpful to me so far! It's nice to read how others set challenges for themselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll investigate that book, thanks. Good luck tackling your challenges. I'm doing the Push Up Challenge this month - much easier, but I'm trying not to use it as an excuse to return to too much sugar & carbs.

      Delete
  2. The best is that it can help establish habits fir a long term change. Sugar is really I tough as I too struggle with it. But small changes or a long period of time makes it easier. Lifestyle change with longevity and. Enter health is the pay off. Then we get to have you around on this planet longer. And that is good for all of us.

    ReplyDelete