Sunday 27 December 2020

My Top 10 in Television for 2020 - Part One

NOTE: Just a quick diversion from my usual The 500 Blog Post series. It's my break and I have a little extra time.

Household secret from the pandemic: Lots of time to watch TV. And, being small-screen aficionados, my wife and I did just that. Throughout our lengthy quarantine, we researched programs and, after viewing, enjoyable conversations ensued including one the other day in which we debated our Top Ten television programs of 2020. 

Our tastes are eclectic and we are not easily offended, so pretty much anything goes. For my list of Top Ten series in 2020, I am focusing on new programs. Consequently, some may be 2019 releases that we watched during this calendar year.

10. The Crown: Season 4: Sure, they took some liberties with the dialogue and the facts and Netflix refused appeals to put on disclaimers to that effect. Granted, few know what was actually said behind closed and heavily guarded doors. However, despite the falsehoods portrayed and presumptions made, such as the doubtful arguments between Prince Charles and Lord Mountbatten, the acting was exception and I enjoyed the quick, clever banter. The sets and costumes are still spectacular. Additionally, the series made it to the eighties when I was more aware of royal events. Everyone of my vintage remembers Diana Mania. Netflix

9. The Queen's Gambit: I watched this one solo, while recovering from a foot surgery. I binged it in two days. Tremendous cinematography, stunning set and costume design, with an outstanding multi-generational soundtrack to boot. And who would have thought chess could be sexy. Then there is the character Jolene, who delivers a line that nearly made me spit my tea with laughter. Netflix

8. Watchmen: I was skeptical when I learned that one of my favourite graphic novels was going to be a television series. I wasn't wowed by the 2009 film adaptation and this new series was pitched as an "original remix of the source material". It's a bit uneven at times and "suspension of disbelief" is mandatory. It also tends to divide viewers based on their political leanings. I pushed all that stuff to the side in favour of a fun, viewing adventure. Watchmen is worth the ride for many reasons -- the soundtrack, the fascinating storytelling choices and, perhaps above all else, the special effects that are blended with eye-popping cinematography. 

If you've seen it, perhaps, like me, you want to try Nostalgia Pills and wonder why you didn't know about the Tulsa Race Massacre and Black Wall Street before 2020? HBO/Crave

7. The Boys: (Season 1 & 2): This is not for the faint of heart. The violence, although comically exaggerated, is disquieting to say the least and the language is ghost-pepper spicy. Karl Urban's character, Billy Butcher, drops enough F & C bombs to rival a Tarantino or Scorsese script. If you can get past all of that, it has plenty to offer: action, comedy, intrigue, mystery and even a playful dollop of social commentary mixed with a Billy-Joel-friendly soundtrack. Plus, I am envious of the T-shirt collections of several characters -- perhaps that is why is is on Amazon Prime.

6. Schitt's Creek: My wife and I started this series in 2015. We liked it, but didn't love it. Consequently, it fell by the wayside. This year, on the strength of its showing at the 2020 Emmys where it won a record nine awards, we took another look. Boy, are we glad we did. It takes a full season for the show to get its legs. When it does, comedy gold follows. 

This half-hour sitcom was a wonderful distraction from everything negative that 2020 offered. If you want to escape politics and the pandemic...I recommend a heavy dose of the Rose Family, taken nightly. The whole cast is great, but Catherine O'Hara is a national treasure. 

PS: My sympathy to anyone named David who just spent the year hearing their name pronounced exaggeratedly with Moira-esque aplomb. CBC Gem or Netflix


Coming Up Next - Part Two

   

No comments:

Post a Comment