Friday 4 September 2020

The 500 - #405 - Radio City - Big Star

 I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by Los Angeles-based comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 

Album # 405

Album Title: Radio City
Artist: Big Star
Genre: Power Pop
Recorded: Ardent Studios, Memphis
Released: February, 1974
My age at release: 8
How familiar was I with it before this week: Fairly
Song I am putting on my Spotify Mix: Back of a Car

This week, we finish off the Big Star trilogy with their sophomore offering, Radio City, from 1974.
Radio City - Big Star (1974)
Last December, in a time we might soon call PC (Pre-Covid), I wrote about their final record, Third/Sister Lovers, which was #449 on The 500 list. I highlighted Big Star's impact on popular music. They are often called The Musicians' Musicians - "the band that your favourite band is probably listening to."
Third/Sister Lovers - Big Star (1978)
Then, in April of this year, we arrived at their debut, and my favourite album from the band, Number 1 RecordI wrote about my relationship with the band and the magnificence of this "red letter moment" in music, "when everything falls in place."
Number 1 Record - Big Star (1972)
For many, I am sure, the question must be: Why would a band with all three of their studio records on The 500 list not be more popular? In fact, I'll go so far as to say that many of the people who read my blog, except perhaps the musicians, are unfamiliar with Big Star. 

I conducted a quick Twitter Poll with the question: "How familiar are you with the band Big Star?" I only got 23 responses but, as you can see below, the majority had little to no familiarity with the music. 
Twitter Poll conducted September 3-5, 2020
A 2013 article from The Atlantic magazine calls them "The Greatest Band You've Never Heard Of" and a music review from NPR in 2010 dubbed them "The Unluckiest Band in the World". Was it bad luck? There are some who think the audacious decision to call themselves Big Star and then double-down and name their debut release Number 1 Record was tempting fate.

I don't buy into the notion of fate. I bristle when people say, "Everything happens for a reason."  

It doesn't. Things happen and we retroactively ascribe meaning to them.

This week on The 500 Podcast, host Josh Adam Meyers welcomed Jody Stephens, drummer and only surviving member of Big Star. He dismissed the idea that it was "bad luck" and looks back on his career with positive affection, saying:
"It all worked out. The records are finding an audience and I had an amazing career. (We) got to create the way we wanted to create and, financially, he (Guitarist & Singer Alex Chilton) could support himself from songs he had written for Big Star. I'm in Love with a Girl was used in a Heineken commercial and he co-wrote In the Street with Chris (Bell) which was used in the credits of That 70s Show. Once that television program went into syndication...the income got appreciable. (Bassist) Andy Hummel went on to get a degree in Mechanical Engineering and an MBA in Finance and raised a beautiful family. Maybe things wouldn't have turned out so well if we got recognition with the first album. Who knows, the whole thing could have been finished."  
Drummer Jody Stephens at Ardent Studios
The track for my The 500 Spotify Playlist is, Back of a Car, selected by friend (and drummer) Steve Crew. In a text to me, he credited Jody Stephens as an important influence. As he put it..."I stole every lick."

No comments:

Post a Comment