Thursday 4 June 2020

The 500 - #423 - Diana Ross and The Supremes - Anthology


I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by Los Angeles-based comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 

Album # 423

Album Title: Anthology
Artist: Diana Ross and the Supremes
Genre: Motown, Rhythm & Blues (R&B)
Recorded: 1960s and 1970s
Released: May, 1974 (Updated in 1995 & 2001)
My age at release: 8
How familiar was I with it before this week: Fairly Well - these are classics
Song I am putting on my Spotify Mix: You Can't Hurry Love

Anthology: The Best of The Supremes was initially released in 1974 as a three-record, 35-song collection spanning six phases in the career of this legendary 50s and 60s girl group. Each side was dedicated to a different period in their ten-year career, as follows:
  1. The Early Sessions 
  2. The Big Boom
  3. Non-Stop Hit Making
  4. New Horizons
  5. Versatile Stylists
  6. Memories, Moving On
Since the first release, the album has been reissued twice. In 1995 it became available as a double compact disc set. However, this version removed 19 of the tracks and replaced them with 16 others. Finally, in 2002, the "definitive anthology" was released. This is the version available to me on Spotify. It clocks-in at a staggering two hours and 26 minutes...with 50 tracks. Needless to say, it took me a couple afternoons to give it two complete listens.
Anthology: The Best of the Supremes
The Supremes are the most commercially successful of all the Motown performers and acknowledged as the greatest vocal group of all time -- with twelve number one singles. They originally formed as a quartet called The Primettes in the Brewster-Douglas housing projects of Detroit with members Florence Ballard, Betty McGlown, Diana Ross and Mary Wilson. In 1960, Barbara Martin replaced McGlown the year the group signed with Motown Records and became The Supremes. However, Martin left two years later leaving behind a trio until 1970 when Ross left to pursue a tremendously successful solo career.
The original Supremes line-up (1960)
As I played these songs in the background, I wondered what could I possibly add to a conversation about one of the best known and celebrated groups of all time?  

While listening to the song You Can't Hurry Love, it occured to me that my introduction had come by way of British singer Phil Collins. Collins, who was a member the progressive rock group Genesis, began a successful run as a solo artist in the early 80s. On his second record, Hello, I Must Be Going, he released a cover of this Supremes classic as a single, accompanied by this clever video.
Hello, I Must Be Going (1982)
Phil Collins
Collins' version was ubiquitous during the winter of 1982/83 when I was employed at an outdoor rink in Victoria Park, London, Ontario. Typically, I worked the boot-check kiosk in the basement of the adjecent bandshell; however, once a week, I was a "Cruiser". Trust me, the title sounds far more impressive than the job actually was. The task was to skate the perimeter of the rink ready to help patrons or prevent horseplay. Occasionally, this amounted to the distribution of a Band-Aid or stern warnings to preteens who were skating too fast or playing tag. It was mind-numbingly boring, but it paid well above minimum wage and I didn't smell like french fry grease at the end of a shift. Another benefit was being able to listen to music being piped through the park's speaker system, including Collins' hit.
Victoria Park Ice Rink (London, Ontario)
You Can't Hurry Love is a story told by a speaker reflecting on their mother's words of encouagement.

"My mama said, "you can't hurry love
No, you'll just have to wait"
She said, "love don't come easy
But it's a game of give and take"
You can't hurry love
No, you'll just have to wait
Just trust in a good time
No matter how long it takes"

Even at the age of 17, I remember picking up on the important themes of patience and compromise in a relationship. I'd like to say I applied these lessons expertly over the next decade. 

I did not. 

Indeed, love did come to me in "good time" and, with age, my capacity for concession and patience has expanded.   

The lyrics for You Can't Hurry Love were inspired by a gospel song called You Can't Hurry God, He's right on Time, by Dorothy Love Coates in 1958. 
I'm not an overtly religious person but was raised in a Christian household and value the teachings of Christ. Consequently, I embrace the ideals of forgiveness, kindness and love. Perhaps there is a lesson here that is universal, regardless of faith. Love, in its many forms, does not come without struggle and it requires commitment, compromise and, if you trust in its inevitability, will arrive...right on time.

Coming up next: The Ronettes - Presenting The Fabulous Ronettes Featuring Veronica











No comments:

Post a Comment