Saturday 29 February 2020

The 500 - #444 - War - The World is a Ghetto

I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by Los Angeles-based comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 

My plan (amended). 

  • One record per week(ish) and at least two complete listens.
  • A blog post for each, highlighting the important details and, when possible, a background story that relates to the record.
  • No rating scale - just an effort to expand my appreciation of diverse forms of music.
  • Listen to Josh and his guest on The 500 podcast to gather additional information and insights.

Album # 444

Album Title: The World is a Ghetto
Artist: War
Released: November, 1972
My age at release: 7
How familiar was I with it before this week: A little
Song I am putting on my Spotify Mix: City Country City
Great Lyric:
"I knew we met each other this morning for a reason.
Thinking, talking, we've worked out our problems.
Looked like we should have better days in front.
Just because we took our time to think and talk,
For a much better understanding." 

(Four Cornered Room)

There is so much to like about the band War. They are a true, musical crossover act that blends elements of Latin-tinged funk with rock, soul, rhythm and blues, reggae and jazz. They boast a multi-ethnic line-up of talented players who, as BBC writer Daryl Easlea put it, "effortlessly transcended racial and cultural barriers."

Originally formed in 1969 by record producer Jerry Goldstein who paired Eric Burdon, former lead singer of the UK band The Animals, with a group of North Hollywood session players. The band were, at the time, backing NFL defensive-end turned musician and actor Deacon Jones in LA clubs. Those of my vintage might remember Jones best from his appearance on the television program The Brady Bunch.
The band's goal, according to original member Leroy "Lonnie" Jordan, was "to spread a message of brotherhood and harmony, using instruments and voices to speak out against racism, warfare, gangs, crime and poverty."

My exposure to the band was through a string of hit records played in heavy rotation on both FM radio and featured in film soundtracks through the 80s and 90s. In particular, Spill the Wine, The Cisco Kid, Why Can't We Be Friends and Low Rider. 

I've given The World is a Ghetto multiple listens this week. The rhythmic percussion is undeniable and the soulful, jazzy grooves feel like a slow drive in a large sedan through an inner-city in the early 70s, particularly City Country City which I selected for my Spotify Mix. Granted, my opinion is gleaned from films or television programs from the era and a few trips through downtown Detroit to see Tigers' games when I was a boy.
If you would like to learn more about this record, Josh's Podcast provides greater context and insight. His guest, former NBA champion Caron Butler, is an engaging and honest storyteller. Butler is currently working with producer/actor Mark Wahlberg on a film about his life based on his memoir Tuff Juice: My Journey from the Streets to the NBA.




No comments:

Post a Comment