Thursday 2 January 2020

#OneWord 2020 - Part One

It is said that "one cannot catch up on sleep". According to Matt Walker, a scientist who specializes in brain activity, "sleep is a non-negotiable, biological necessity" for humans who "are the only species that deliberately deprive themselves of sleep for no apparent reason". If that is the case, then I am not sure what I have been doing for the past week. It sure feels as if I am "catching up on sleep" when I'm getting ten or more hours a night. 
Should I disturb him, or just go back to sleep?
I'm a little concerned about next Monday morning, when the alarm goes off at 7:00. 
How difficult will it be to get back into a regular routine?
This is compounded further by the dubious choices I've made with my diet. It's time to put the chocolate, candy, chips, cheese, beer and bourbon well out of reach.

For me, January 1 has, for the past four years, been a day of reflection and a chance to lay down plans for determining my #OneWord. The #OneWord Challenge is a social media movement that encourages individuals to choose a single word as their focus for the year. Some, like me, connect that word to S.M.A.R.T. goals.
Last year, my #OneWord was PERSIST and I set goals in this blog post.


Reflecting on that post and my #OneWord I think I've been reasonably successful:
  • My fitness goals were somewhat derailed by three injuries and a bout of shingles - but, I'm persisting. 
  • I have persisted with Duolingo Spanish and my study streak is at 565 days.
  • I played guitar a little less but, I've been taking piano lessons for three months and I practise regularly.
  • I persisted with my writing, averaging a blog post every six days.
In Part Two of this post, I will choose my #OneWord for 2020 and try to establish a few S.M.A.R.T. goals. I also hope to share how I incorporate #OneWord and Goal Setting Lessons with my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment