Sunday 3 February 2019

The 500 - #497 - The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

This is the fourth in an ongoing series, the first can be found here and the second here and the third here.

I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 

So, here's my plan. 

  • 2 records per week & at least 2 complete listens.
  • A quick blog post for each, highlighting the important details and a quick background story.
  • No rating scale - just an effort to expand my appreciation.

Album # 497

Album Title: White Blood Cells
Artist: The White Stripes
Released: July, 2001
My age at release: 35
How familiar am I with it: Somewhat 
Song I am putting on my Spotify Mix: Hotel Yorba
Great Lyric:
"It might sound silly
For me to think childish thoughts like these.
But I'm so tired of acting tough
And I'm gonna do what I please
Let's get married
In a big cathedral by a priest
Cause if I'm the man you love the most
You could say "I do" at least."

In the late 90 & early 2000's, I hosted a late show at CHRW - Radio Western - our local University station. It ran from 2 am until 6 am on Saturday mornings (Friday nights). With the exception of a group of grocery store workers on the midnight shift, I didn't receive a lot of phone calls or requests. Consequently, I was pretty much free to play what I wanted...as long as I respected the station mantra - No Hits - that is "nothing that has been on the Top-100 in the past year". Those grocery store workers loved a death metal band called Six Feet Under - so I always kept copies of those CDs close at hand.

A number of my friends were working musicians, so I could always count on them as listeners after their bar gigs ended. It also gave me a chance to feature their music. Consequently, I named my show Stomping Grounds and 30% of the material I played was by talent from London and the surrounding Southwestern Ontario region.

On one show, two former students, joined me for a shift. They brought some of the music they were listening to and one disc was The White Stripes. They played a few tracks and I remember feeling sort of neutral about it. I certainly wasn't wowed.  

I was wrong. I suspect I was being a curmudgeon and a tad pretentious - dismissing these teens with their sloppy, fuzz-rock.  I mean, I've heard Garage Rock before and thought affordable technology had moved us forward. Was this supposed to be an homage? I do know I was troubled by the drumming. It seemed sloppy & incredibly simple - like someone who had just learned to keep time, but had not developed subtlety or feel.

Much has changed. I have a new respect for the band and I love so much of Jack White's style. His live version of Dolly Parton's Jolene is exceptional and the DVD Under Blackpool Lights has a grainy, mystical power that is absolutely riveting. I truly think it will, eventually, be regarded as one of the great concert videos.   

I chose the song Hotel Yorba because it was one of the first songs I could play on the guitar while singing. It's fun lyrics and chunky rhythm is catchy and an absolute blast to play. 

As a side note: 

Kitchener area musician, the late Matt Osborne was playing a gig at The 'Wick and agreed to come on my radio show that same night. Despite arriving at 3:00 am and having to drive 100 km home, he happily agreed to an interview and played a couple songs for us.  He was an incredibly sweet guy and an exceptional talent. This is a version of one the songs he played . Sadly, he passed in 2004. I would absolutely recommend checking out his album Man vs. Concrete - it is on Spotify. Whining Teenager's Dramatic Exit is a personal favourite and, tragically, way ahead of the curve in its commentary on the phenomenon of school shootings - which, at the time, seemed like bizarre & temporary anomalies.

Things I learned

Jack White was born Jack Gillis and took his wife's last name in marriage.

Jack loves creating mythology by weaving believable lies around him & his life. Like suggesting that he and Meg were the two youngest of ten siblings who formed the band on Bastille Day or that the Hotel Yorba in Detroit once housed The Beatles. 

Next: Boz Scaggs: Boz Scaggs

No comments:

Post a Comment