Tuesday 4 September 2018

Was it ever "Discovery Math"? - Part One

One of the benefits to my role as an Instructional Coach is the extra time I am afforded. This is not because my days are not filled - I spent today (the first day of the 2018 school year) receiving excellent Professional Development and I work hard to make sure that I am always "earning my keep".

I have extra time in the evenings because, unlike my colleagues in the classroom, I do not have a class of eager or anxious, excited or reluctant, confident or uncertain learners waiting to meet me tomorrow morning.

Consequently, I do not need to spend time this evening...

  • reviewing student work from today - sometimes called "Exit Tickets" or "Diagnostic Assessment".
  • preparing lessons for tomorrow that are based on those assessments. 
  • considering differentiated instruction for all of the learners in my class - especially the anxious, reluctant and uncertain ones.
  • responding to student questions & comments on virtual environments like Google Classroom or Edmodo.
  • sharing classroom observations with parents or facilitating student-created portfolios through Seesaw or Class Dojo - and answering parent questions when asked.
  • preparing forms for teams I coach or for fields trips I hope to take.
  • preparing for community building experiences like Terry Fox, Orange Shirt or Dot Day.
I respect this opportunity. So I always try to make good use of this extra time I am afforded. 

Sometimes, 
  • I use it to learn - maybe to add to my coding skills or to gain experience with a new app or educational technology.
  • I use it to review curriculum, especially if a teacher from a grade with which I am unfamiliar asks me for some assistance - (yesterday, that was a Grade 1 teacher who asked about Media Literacy, and I began building this resource.)
  • I use it to read the great Leadership, Literacy and Math books with which I have been provided.
  • I use it to build lessons that I think will have utility in multiple classrooms.
  • I surf Twitter to see what my Professional Learning Network #PLN is sharing in their posts and blogs.
Today, I used my time to begin to review the Teacher's Guide addendum released by the Ontario Progressive Conservative Government Focusing on the Fundamentals of Math released August 23rd. I also thought I would write about it here - in a follow-up post - found here

Spoiler Alert - I don't see what the fuss is about - on either front. 

The document (much like the practice of my colleagues that preceded it) seems grounded in good, well-researched thinking. 

It also (like the documents that preceded it*see below*) is intended as an approach to 
"prepare students for success in high school and ensure they have a set of essential skills for employment and responsible citizenship in the future." 
I can't argue with that statement - that has been my goal as a teacher since I began. Join me tomorrow (fingers-crossed) as I go through each page. I think you'll find that this approach is just fine - however, it is not replacing this elusive "discovery math" I keep hearing about - it is simply a slightly adjusted focus on practice in which I already believed.


**The Guides to Effective Instruction & The Ontario Curriculum - Mathematics & What to Look for by Alex Lawson & Elementary & Middle School Math by John A Van de Walle & others or all the great stuff from Marian Small (which we have been using for several years).






No comments:

Post a Comment