Wednesday 6 February 2019

The Gillette Commercial - The Best a Teacher can Teach?

There was a lot of buzz last month about a new Gillette Commercial or, as they present it, "Short Film". It seemed to be generating both controversy and conversation - which I suspect was entirely their point.
  • I did notice some members of my Twitter #PLN considered using it in their Intermediate & High School classes - with the intention of generating discussion around things such as media, bullying, stereotypes & kindness.
  • There was also some negativity coming through, from two sources...
    • Camp A: who disagreed with it (for a variety of reasons addressed below). Some seemed exasperated, while others were openly hostile.
    • Camp B: who took great umbrage at the fact that people dared to disagree with it. They, too were spitting venom - in 280 characters or fewer. 
  • I'll admit - it was mainly positive vibes on my radar... my social circle & #PLN certainly skew toward beneficence and, for the most part, tend to avoid antagonism. It's a glass-half-full crowd for sure. 
At this point, I still had not seen it. I wasn't avoiding it - I just got preoccupied.

It came up again during a brief discussion with a colleague who was choosing not to use it because (and I paraphrase here) "They should just be selling their sub-par razors and stay out of social/ political issues."

I had no rebuttal...So, I watched it.

The Cons

  • Gillette is being intentionally provocative by choosing to take this approach to advertising. Certainly, they realized that controversy would follow - see Oscar Wilde. Was it virtue signalling? Perhaps Procter & Gamble would be better served to address the issues connected to its own use of palm oil and the environmental & human rights issues connected with that choice.  
  • It is just a razor commercial. If this was an important issue - why not stick to conventional razor ads and then quietly (or publicly) donate money to groups that work to create positive experiences for all youth?
  • Typically, and I know I am generalizing here, razor
    commercials are for women. Sure, the target audience for the implied message is men - but, many television spots feature handsome, shirtless dudes with washboard abs. As they admire their freshly rinsed jawline in the mirror, they are immediately set upon by a beautiful woman who literally can't keep her hands off them. So, this must mark a clear change in Gillette's approach to razor ads - right? We'll see.

The Pros (which I hope to present with no intention of virtue signalling)

  • Who wouldn't agree that we can all work to be better? I am in a perpetual pursuit of self-improvement. I've made and make mistakes and I keep trying to be a better human.
  • A conversation about the media that surrounds us is important. Why not have that conversation with students?
    • How do they feel about the ad? Does it land for them?
    • Do they see those behaviours, or are we living in a time when they are vanishing?
    • I'm always fascinated to hear how young people process this world. I have wisdom, but I'm frequently out-of-touch. Teens have their boots-on-the-ground in popular culture and are interacting directly with the prevailing zeitgeist.
  • How is "We believe in the best in men." a statement we shouldn't endorse?
  • At no time during the commercial did I feel attacked and I am certainly guilty of some of the behaviours depicted - particularly in my teen years & early 20's. (I guess I've always passed it off as "...it was the 80's"; but,  maybe I should reconcile some of those choices.)
  • Terry Crews (a victim of a sexual assault) says "Men need to hold other men accountable". I can't disagree with that. I have many male friends. I have known them for decades and they have served as an integral part of my moral compass. I often say that my community of friends is my version of a religious fellowship - offering me support, guidance & direction through advice and meaningful conversations. I'm interested to hear their thoughts about this commercial - I suspect it will come up, over beers, soon enough.  
I'd also love to hear from you. Feel free to comment here or on Twitter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment