Monday 4 February 2019

The 500 - #496 - Boz Scaggs - Boz Scaggs (Third Album)

This is the fifth in an ongoing series, the first can be found here and the second here and the third here and here is the fourth.

I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 

So, here's my plan. 

  • 2 records per week & at least 2 complete listens.
  • A quick blog post for each, highlighting the important details and a quick background story.
  • No rating scale - just an effort to expand my appreciation.

Album # 496

Album Title: Boz Scaggs
Artist: Boz Scaggs
Released: August, 1969
My age at release: 4
How familiar am I with it: Never heard it 
Song I am putting on my Spotify Mix: Loan Me a Dime
Great Lyric:
"Oh, your sighs screamed with loneliness
Your eyes traced broken dreams
And your touch held a warning of goodbye."

I have a very specific and sad memory connected to Boz Scaggs. It comes back every time I hear his name - even though he shoulders none of the blame.  Here goes... 

My first dog was named Chrissy. She was a Springer Spaniel I got at Christmas when I was 10 - hence the "not-so-clever-in-retrospect" name. At the time, we lived in Kingsville, Ontario in a house that overlooked Lake Erie from a bluff. We were surrounded by farmer's fields and apple orchards - it still baffles me how I ever took that for granted. 



Chrissy was a natural hunter, often taking down birds in the nearby fields or bringing dead fish up to the doorstep from the shore. She also had a terrible habit of following me in the mornings when I walked up a long, gravel road to the highway in order to catch the school bus. She would then bark at cars as they raced by. Finally, she got clipped by one - just slightly - and the habit stopped for a few months.

One school morning was particularly exciting because it was "gum day" and I had prepped with a pocket full of Double Bubble packs. (When something is important to kids - they are absolutely able to plan ahead & remember supplies).

In my haste, I forgot to lock Chrissy inside and she quietly followed me to my bus stop. This time, she stood in the middle of the road as a car came toward her from a very long distance away. It was a black sports car - I think a Trans-Am. Suddenly, I heard the engine roar and I realized, too late to do anything, that the driver was  actually accelerating to maximize the impact for the dog. 

It was over in a flash - he plowed straight into her and I grimaced as I heard the sickening thuds of her body going under the chassis. The car continued down the road as I ran out to look at her...dying.

She only appeared to be alive for about a minute...and the rest is a surreal blur. I think this is what happened...

  • I think I moved her closer to the side of the road and saw her eyes close.
  • The bus arrived (I'm not sure how much time passed).
  • I got on the bus and the driver, who must have seen the event or the evidence, asked if I was okay.
  • A school mate said "Is that your dog?"
  • The bus started to drive and then stopped.
  • My mother climbed on the bus and told me to come with her.
  • She had come in the car and it was parked  behind the bus.
  • I went home with her, feeling the gum packages in my pockets.
  • I went into my room and turned on the radio...the song Lido Shuffle by Boz Scaggs was playing.
  • The tears came.
I am not sure how my mother knew what had happened. The house was a long way from the bus stop. I just called her and she says that she thinks someone saw it and called her...but can't be sure.

Anyway, that was a painful one to dredge up - but it is always the first thing I think about when someone mentions Boz Scaggs - The Lido Shuffle and the sociopath who murdered a dog in front of a kid.

This album was released several years earlier, in 1969. I had no idea it existed and it is simply fantastic. It features the famous Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section and Duane Allman on guitar. If you haven't heard it - give it a spin. The groove on Loan Me a Dime is remarkable. The whole album plays as a great listen or terrific background music for a gathering of friends. 

Things I learned

  • Boz Scaggs used to be in the Steve Miller Band.
  • His style of music is considered "Blue Eyed Soul".
  • A schoolmate gave him the nickname "Bosley" which was shortened to "Boz".
  • I still quietly hope that the guy who ran over my dog had an entirely unpleasant life and that he reflects on that moment as the reason.


No comments:

Post a Comment