Friday 1 February 2019

The 500 - #499 - BB King - Live in Cook County Jail

This is the second in an ongoing series, the first can be found here.

I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal is to explore Rolling Stone's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. Each week, he and his guests (fellow comedians, actors & musicians) will discuss a different album as he works his way backward to Number 1. 

The discovery of this podcast has rekindled my interest in expanding my knowledge of music and a Spotify account makes access far easier.

So, here's my plan. 

  • 2 records per week & at least 2 complete listens.
  • A quick blog post for each, highlighting the important details and a quick background story.
  • No rating scale - just an effort to expand my appreciation.

Album # 499

Album Title: Live in the Cook County Jail
Artist: BB King
Recorded Live: September 10, 1970
My age at release: 5
How familiar am I with it: Somewhat (a few songs I know well)
Song I am putting on my Spotify Mix: How Blue Can You Get.
Great Lyric:
"I gave you a brand new Ford, you said 'I want a Cadillac'
I bought you a ten dollar dinner, you said 'Thanks for the snack'
I let you live in my penthouse, you said it was just a shack
I gave you seven children, and now you want to give them back"


Quick Hits:

When I was young and learning about popular music, BB King was ubiquitous. He was one of those artists that occupied legendary status for me, even before I could even name a single song he played. I could see the reverence with which he was embraced on The Tonight Show. Saturday Night Live or Sanford and Son. So, I knew he was important - like Elvis, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Little Richard, or even Liberace.

I guess the first time I really took notice was watching the U2 film, Rattle and Hum. I remember seeing the respect and veneration afforded him by Bono. It was unsettling, but also satisfying, to see a rock-star act like a fanboy in his presence. He was so eager to share his lyrics to When Love Comes to Town with him. BB seemed both nonplussed and distant - as if he was both overwhelmed by the opportunity...and entirely removed from it.

When I listened to Live at Cook County Jail, I was familiar with most of the songs. I know I have heard this album before, but never in its entirety. I love that the album opens with an bizarre and awkward announcement from an unnamed female MC. She, unwisely, chooses to acknowledge a "Sheriff Woods" to a brief smattering of applause...followed by a hearty round of boos and jeers. Undeterred, she continues... "and another dear friend of all of yours out there, the Chief Justice of the Criminal Court Joseph Power." Again, a raucous chorus of boos.  What a fantastic example of "not knowing your audience" or, perhaps she does? And she's straight trolling...70's style.

It was tough to pick a song to put on my Spotify Mix. This is one of those records that should be listened to in its entirety.  I chose How Blue Can You Get for two reasons. First, I love the sample of "I've been downhearted baby" on the Primitive Radio Gods' song  Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in my Hand

However, more significantly, my favourite London, Ontario cover band Sweet Leaf Garrett used to cover it, and singer Shaun Sanders would deliver the lyrics with an appropriate mix of sincerity and comedic panache.

Things I learned:

BB King's real name is Riley B. King, but was nicknamed the Beale Street Blues Boy ... hence B.B. 

He stops playing guitar when he sings. 

His guitar, Lucille, got its name after he rescued it from a fire. The hall where he was playing was heated with metal cans filled with kerosene. Two men, fighting over a woman, knocked the can over and set the place on fire. After retrieving his guitar, BB learned that they were fighting over a woman named "Lucille"... Legend Forged!

Next: #498 - The Stone Roses - Stone Roses


No comments:

Post a Comment