Tuesday 12 February 2019

Happy 38th Birthday Moving Pictures

On this day, February 12, 1981 - Rush released their eighth, and certainly most commercially successful, studio album Moving Pictures.  I don't have this date memorized - I was reminded of it by a Twitter post celebrating its 38th anniversary. 


I remember this day so vividly...so powerfully. 

It is one of those memories that carries additional and weighty sensory detail. Perhaps you've experienced it? A time where you can recall the weather, the shape of your frame, the very feeling of being present. I even remember insignificant details, like exactly where I was sitting in the library at Saunders Secondary School and the specific texture of weird, but durable 70's style-fabric that covered the low rise wooden chairs. I was poring-over the smallest details of the liner notes - trying to absorb the rich meaning behind Peart's lyrics before I could even get home to put it on my turntable.  

A lot had led up to that day.

  • I had been deeply Rush-obsessed for some time. I first heard a song by them at an school dance when I was 12-13.  Yes, we tried to dance to Rush, Led Zeppelin & KISS in the late 70's.
  • I had already managed to collect all of their back catalogue - quite a challenge when I was living in the town of Kingsville (population 2,000). This was made markedly easier by a move to London, and bus accessible transportation to a dozen record stores.
  • I owned every pin, patch & poster available at the local head shops - as well as a black, Velcro Rush wallet of which I was particularly proud.
    Not exactly it - but close.
  • It was the first time that I was waiting for an album's release. It had been heavily promoted on local radio and (although Wikipedia calls me a liar) I am convinced that the single Limelight had been available for airplay a few weeks earlier.

This was an incredible time to be alive.  

I say that with no disrespect to the rest of my life - which has been rich beyond words. It's just, there was something magical about the freedom of early high school.

  • I had some, but few, responsibilities
  • Within reason, I was pretty much free to do what I wanted and had access to public transportation & a bike.
  • My grades were only marginally important - and I was lucky enough to be good enough at school to keep my parent's happy.
  • I had some money in my pockets - I had worked the high-school snack-bar after school and washed dishes at lunch in Kingsville and had always managed to secure babysitting gigs. 
Happy 38th Moving Pictures!  

Sincerely;

 15 year old me...and 53 year old me.



1 comment:

  1. very cool, I also remember all the details surrounding this release and every other Rush album release.

    ReplyDelete