Monday 5 February 2024

The 500 - #227 - Doolittle - Pixies

I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by Los Angeles-based comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone Magazine's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 



Album: #227
Album Title: Doolittle
Artist: Pixies
Genre: Alternative Rock
Recorded: Downtown Recorders, Boston, MA, U.S.A.
Released: April, 1989
My age at release: 23
How familiar was I with it before this week: Two songs
Is it on the 2020 list? Yes, at #141, moving up 86 places since the 2012 list.
Song I am putting on my Spotify Playlist: Here Comes My Man
Doolittle is the second studio record from Boston-based Alt-Rockers the Pixies. I wrote about their debut record, Surfer Rosa, in May, 2022. When I penned that post, I mentioned, erroneously it turned out, that I had only been familiar with one song from the group. It was the track Where Is My Mind? which is featured significantly in the climactic scene of the film Fight Club. There are actually two tracks from Doolittle that I had heard prior to this week – Here Comes My Man and Monkey Gone To Heaven. They are in regular rotation on my home's internet streaming station of choice, Radio Paradise.
Radio Paradise is a listener-supported, commercial-free streaming music service that features four channels (Main, Rock, Mellow & Global). Although there is no mandated charge, my wife and I support it with a modest $5 monthly subscription. The service is trying to expand and I recommend you give it a try. A new channel was recently launched - Radio 2050 - which combines music with conversations about important issues.
I was texting with a friend this week about Doolittle. He goes by the pseudonym Various Artists on social media accounts and has guest blogged for me twice. He is a huge fan of Pixies and shared his own blog entry about seeing them at the Ottawa Civic Centre in April, 2011. He began his post with a story about the moment he fell in love with the Doolittle record after being lukewarm about it for several months. 

That got me thinking about albums that didn't wow me at first, but eventually became favourites -- often dominating my stereo system, headphones and car radio for months at a time. 

Three come to mind:
  • Acadie by French-Canadian musician and legendary producer Daniel Lanois.
  • Trick Of The Tail from British progressive-rock band Genesis, released in 1976 following the departure of founding member and singer and theatrical front-man Peter Gabriel.
  • Tommy the two-disc rock opera from The Who, #96 on The 500.
In all three cases, the records came with positive reviews and were recommended by friends whose opinions I valued. My expectations were high when I gave each one its first spin on my turntable. I was nonplussed. I didn't dislike the music, but I wasn't hooked. I was just ... "meh".
However, I stuck with each one and my perseverance was rewarded. Suddenly, each one clicked. At first, it was a single track -- an earworm that was "cloggin' my noggin". Then, song by song, the records won me over and spent hours on my audio devices.
A Technics Linear Tracking Turntable, similar to the one I owned.
I think, in part, this was due to living in a generation before digital, on-demand music. In order to hear most records, I had to purchase a physical copy. This financial commitment inspirited an obligation to justify the purchase. 

Music writer and broadcaster Alan Cross said much the same last week in an appearance at the Forked River Brewery and Pub in London, Ont. In a two-hour Q&A session, Cross posited that music today, typically released via on-demand streaming, is disadvantaged. A song, or a record, has to capture the attention of today's listener quickly or risk being clicked away into audio oblivion.
Cross, speaking at Forked Brewery Pub, Saturday, February 3, 2024
Cross, who has hosted the radio program (and now podcast) The Ongoing History Of New Music for 30 years, supported his views on audio technologies through examples. He talked about his transition from disdain to love of the mellow folk-duet Battle Of Evermore from Led Zeppelin's fourth studio release (often called Zeppelin IV- #69 on The 500).
Album cover for IV from Led Zeppelin
Zeppelin's song, a mandolin-driven track featuring lyrics inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord Of The Ring fantasy series, was nestled in between the much heavier Black Dog and Rock And Roll, and the band's best known epic, Stairway To Heaven
Cross admitted he begrudgingly listened to The Battle Of Evermore because he was simply too lazy to get off his bed and move the needle. However, over time, the repeated listens made him a fan and he now considers it to be one of his favourite tracks from the British rockers.

That, he suggested, is unlikely to happen today, when a quick tap on a smart phone screen would dismiss the song forever. Can you imagine a young music listener discovering U2’s masterpiece album The Joshua Tree (#27 on The 500) today? The opening track, Where The Streets Have No Name, begins with an instrumental section that fades in with a slowly building series of atmospheric synthesizer notes. The guitar comes in after 40 seconds and the bass and drums don’t appear for another 30 seconds. It is the type of song that takes its time to build to a magnificent crescendo; however, it is also the type of song that could quickly bore a new listener... especially one with a short attention span and a device that allows for a song to be instantly relegated to digital purgatory with the flick of a finger.
Album cover for The Joshua Tree by U2.
I agree with Cross' assessment and consider myself fortunate to have grown up in the heyday of vinyl records. I am also delighted to have a Spotify account and access to 100 million songs on demand. Without it, I wouldn't have been able to hear Doolittle to prepare for this post. I listened to it in its entirety (never skipping a track) and much like Tommy, Acadie or, in Cross' case, Battle Of Evermore, it won me over.

I realize that I meandered a bit from the topic of Doolittle on this post. We sometimes call this "birdwalking" in the teaching profession. It happens when you plan to teach a specific lesson but let questions from the students lead you to a meandering series of stories and anecdotes -- like the seemingly aimless sandpiper foraging on a beach.
I appreciate you taking that stroll with me today. Better information on the album can be found on the accompanying episode of The 500 Podcast. Guitarist Joey Santiago from Pixies is the surprise guest this week and, despite being flanked by comedians Josh Adam Meyers and Patton Oswalt, he provides funny and engaging commentary on his band and the making of Doolittle.




No comments:

Post a Comment