Sunday 11 February 2024

The 500 - #226 - Nebraska - Bruce Springsteen

I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by Los Angeles-based comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone Magazine's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 



Album: #226
Album Title: Nebraska
Artist: Bruce Springsteen
Genre: Folk, Heartland Rock, Lo-Fi Indie
Recorded: Springsteen's rented home in Colt's Neck, New Jersey
Released: September, 1982
My age at release: 17
How familiar was I with it before this week: Fairly
Is it on the 2020 list? Yes, at #150, moving up 76 places since the 2012 list.
Song I am putting on my Spotify Playlist: Nebraska
It was recently announced that Jon Stewart intends to return to The Daily Show (TDS) –.a half-hour satirical television newscast and interview program that has aired on Comedy Central since 1996. Originally hosted by Craig Kilborn for its first two years, comedian Stewart took the helm in 1999 and stayed with the program for the next 16 years. The following six years featured South African comedian Trevor Noah as host. When he departed in December, 2022, TDS decided to rotate guest hosts, among them Al Franken, Sarah Silverman and Roy Wood Jr.
The three longest serving hosts, (l-r) Kilborn, Stewart and Noah.
These days I watch TDS far less than I once did and although I enjoy the occasional episode, it is not the appointment viewing that had me riveted during Jon Stewart's tenure. In fact, on August 16, 2006, two days before I was married in New York City, my bride, her father, my pal Steve "Lumpy" Sullivan and I attended the taping of an episode. The guest was former New Jersey Governor Thomas Kean. During a Q&A session before the show, Lumpy was able to ask Stewart a question about his career in television.
Stewart behind the desk on The Daily Show.
On Monday, February 12, Stewart will return to the TDS desk and he plans to host Monday episodes for the remainder of the year -- a presidential election year in the United States. There is unlikely to be a shortage of comedic fodder for Stewart's biting satirical wit. His remarkable intelligence, coupled with his compassion and reasonable outlook on humanity and politics is compelling, engaging and highly entertaining. Additionally, Stewart isn’t just an armchair political critic. He is willing to engage in important political and social issues. In 2019, the longtime New York resident worked tirelessly to ensure 9/11 first responders were provided with funding for health care.
Stewart appearing in the U.S. Congress with 9/11 first responders.
If you  are wondering why I am prattling  on about a political comedian in a post about Bruce Springsteen's sixth studio record, Nebraska, it’s because  Stewart was asked to speak at the 2009 Kennedy Center Honors Award show when Springsteen was among the recipients.
Kennedy Award recipients, flanked by Michelle and Barack
Obama were - (l-r) Mel Brooks, Dave Brubeck, Grace Bumbry
Robert Di Nero and Springsteen.
Stewart's speech about Springsteen is one that my friends and I have watched many times. In typical Stewart fashion, his prose was brilliant, punctuated by insightful commentary and delightful wit. It is well worth the effort to watch the entire piece. There are a few lines that perfectly capture the spirit of Springsteen and his impact on contemporary music listeners. Listen to Stewart as he encapsulate the way I feel about music and about Springsteen's powerful impact:
"I didn't understand his (Springsteen's) music for a long time. Until I began to yearn. Until I began to question the things I was making and doing in my own life. Until I realized it wasn't just about the joyful parade on stage and the theatrics. It was about stories of lives that could be changed...When you listen to Bruce’s music, you aren’t a loser. You are a character in an epic poem...about losers. But that is not the power of Bruce Springsteen. It is that whenever I see Bruce Springsteen do anything, he empties the tank – every time...And we, on the receiving end of that beautiful gift, are ourselves rejuvenated, if not redeemed."
Stewart’s remarks galvanize the spirit and energy of Nebraska  – the fourth of eight records by Springsteen on the 2012 edition of The 500Nebraska deals with ordinary, down on their luck, blue collar characters who are facing a challenge or turning point in their lives. The songs are often bleak in theme and some deal with criminal activities. The tone is set immediately with the opening track, Nebraska, which is based on 19-year-old spree killer Charles Starkweather who, during the winter of 1957 and 1958, murdered eleven people. When he was arrested, he was accompanied by his 14-year-old girlfriend and accomplice Caril Ann Fugate. Their story was, in part, inspiration for the films Badlands, Natural Born Killers and Kalifornia. In fact, it was Badlands that inspired Springsteen to research the murderous pair and write the song.
Starkweather's arrest photos.
Springsteen recorded most of the record at his home studio in Colt's Neck, New Jersey, in a house he was renting following a successful tour promoting his 1980 record, The River. (#253 on The 500). Initially, he planned to be accompanied by his backing group, The E Street Band. However, it was decided to release the record in its original, stripped-down, acoustic form. The band did tinker with the tracks and Springsteen fans have long speculated whether those recordings, often dubbed Electric Nebraska, will ever be released. A few can be found on the internet, but a polished, official release seems unlikely.
A fan-made mock up of the Electric Nebraska album cover.
I'm content to stick with the original. Much like The Daily Show, I like the classic content best. Re-listening to Nebraska in preparation for this post, reminded me why I like Springsteen so much. He helps me understand my own yearning and reinforces the fact that just hearing his songs puts me on the "receiving end of that beautiful gift...and I am rejuvenated...and redeemed."

No comments:

Post a Comment