Sunday 14 January 2024

The 500 - #230 - Nick Of Time - Bonnie Raitt

I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by Los Angeles-based comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone Magazine's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 



Album: #230
Album Title: Nick Of Time
Artist: Bonnie Raitt
Genre: Rock, Americana, Blues-Rock
Recorded: Three Studios, Hollywood, California, U.S.A. 
Released: March, 1989
My age at release: 23
How familiar was I with it before this week: Very
Is it on the 2020 list? Yes, at 492, dropping 262 spots since 2012
Song I am putting on my Spotify Playlist: Have A Heart
Nick Of Time was the tenth studio record by American singer, songwriter and guitarist Bonnie Raitt. It is also the second of two records by her on The 500 list. I wrote about her 1972 record, Give It Up, nearly five years

When I re-read my post from 2019, I confronted a wide range of emotions I suspect were similar to an adult looking back on his own school work or photographs. For instance:
  • Embarrassment. The writing is pedestrian and seems to have been written without much editing. Granted, it was my fifth post on this 10-year journey. I was still treading water, feeling my way. Additionally, at that time, my father hadn't come on board to give my copy a once-over. His suggestions have improved my writing and perhaps more importantly, he serves as "first reader". His comments about the album of the week help me understand the perspective of someone less familiar with the music or artists in question.
  • Satisfaction. I remind myself that 270 records are now in the rearview mirror, and that my writing style and approach to my posts have improved significantly.
  • Frustration. The story I chose to share on my Give It Up post would have made more sense being shared here. It would also have been better written.
  • Amusement. In 2019, I set the ambitious goal of writing about two records a week. That pace helped me catch-up to The 500 Podcast, which began four months ahead of me. However, it was ultimately unsustainable and I am glad I lowered my weekly output to one.
  • Album cover for Give It Up, #495 on The 500.
Such is the unsettling or pleasing consequence of looking back. As I mentioned in that 2019 post, Nick Of Time was Raitt's biggest commercial breakthrough. It came at the end of the lowest point in her career and life. In 1983, Raitt had been released from her record company (Warner Brothers) because of dissatisfaction with her record sales. The record she had just recorded and mastered (edited and produced), Tongue And Groove, was shelved by the executives. Additionally, she was struggling with a drug and alcohol addiction.
Bonnie Raitt (early 80s).
Raitt continued touring to pay the bills and support her partying lifestyle. However, as crowds dwindled, she could no longer afford her backing band and the group was dissolved. Further frustrating Raitt was Warner Brothers  decision to release her Tongue and Groove record with the new title, Nine Lives. It received little press and Raitt was now promoting a record over which she had little control. This exacerbated her substance abuse and plunged her deeper into depression.
Album cover for the Nine Lives album.
Pop star Prince was a fan of Raitt's and invited her to his studio, Paisley Park in Minneapolis, with the promise of a record contract. The gesture was derailed by a skiing accident which hospitalized her for two months. However, the silver lining  was that her convalescence gave her a new perspective on life and she began attending Alcoholic Anonymous meetings -- which she now credits with her nearly 40 years of sobriety.
Raitt continued to tour as a solo performer in order to stay afloat. In late 1987, she joined singers k.d. lang and Jennifer Warnes as the background vocalists for one of my favourite television specials, Roy Orbison and Friends: Black and White Night. It was a highly acclaimed concert film, featuring a who's who list of performers who have multiple records on The 500 list, including Bruce Springsteen (8), Elvis Costello (4), Jackson Brown (3) and Tom Waits (3).
Promotional Poster for 30th Anniversary release
of Roy Orbison Black and White Night DVD.
At about the same time, Raitt connected with now legendary songwriter and producer Don Was. The pair collaborated on several recordings and, in 1989, Raitt signed a new contract with Capitol Records. Her sobriety, hard work and the positive connections she had built in the music industry led to her breakout album, Nick Of Time, in 1989. At the age of 40, her eight-year journey of perseverance and success paid off, in the "nick of time".
Raitt in 1989.
I was fortunate to see Raitt in October, 2023 when she came with her band to my hometown of London, Ontario, on her Just Like That Tour. The opening act was the Juno-nominated multi-instrumentalist, singer and songwriter Royal Wood.
Promotional photo for the London show of Raitt's tour.
It was a marvelous performance and I am so happy that we were able to attend with our good friends, Terry and Heather. As I watched, I couldn’t help but reflect on the journey that brought her to our town that night. Raitt’s story of perseverance is a valuable lesson for us all when we face adversity – whether it comes from without or within.

A photo I took at the October 5, 2023, curtain call for 

Raitt and Royal Wood and their bands


No comments:

Post a Comment