Sunday 27 August 2023

The 500 - #250 - Reasonable Doubt - Jay-Z

I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by Los Angeles-based comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone Magazine's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 



Album: #250
Album Title: Reasonable Doubt
Artist: Jay-Z
Genre: Mafiosa Rap, East Coast Hip Hop
Recorded:
 D&D Studios, New York City, USA
Released: June, 1996
My age at release: 30 
How familiar was I with it before this week: Not at all
Is it on the 2020 list? Yes, at #67, up 183 spots since 2012
Song I am putting on my Spotify Playlist: Reasonable Doubt
In January, 2019, when I began the daunting journey of listening to and blogging about The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine 2012 Edition), I had some reasonable doubts:

Was I biting off more than I could chew?
Would I get 40 records into the project and sputter?
Would life get too busy for me to maintain a weekly pace?

Now I am feeling much more optimistic since officially making it to the halfway point with this week’s presentation. It's been a terrific experience so far and I am meeting the goals I set out for myself:
  • Write weekly: This blog began with a focus on education; however, weekly topics were often elusive. But The 500 allowed me to evolve and innovate by providing a launching point to intertwine the evolution of music albums and, when it fit, classroom teaching.
  • If you teach it, do it: I try to inspire my love of learning with my students. More than anything, I want them to be critical thinkers who are life-long learners. I teach writing, so I write. I'm also learning piano and Spanish while staying active in sports. Education truly is a life-long experience.
  • Explore Diverse Music Genres: It is easy to get stagnant with one's music tastes. By the time we hit our 40s, we have "aged-out" of popular music trends and tend to listen to tried and true favourites over and over again. I wanted to shake up my listening habits and the journey through The 500 has diversified my audio choices while expanding my knowledge and appreciation of music.

I listened to Reasonable Doubt, the debut album from Jay-Z, for the first time in preparation for this week’s offering. It is the third from the Mafioso Rap genre featured on The 500. I wrote about the first one, Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Links, back in May, 2019. It is at position #480. Additionally, at position #476, I wrote about Life After Death from Notorious B.I.G. the following month.
Album Cover for Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Links
Mafioso Rap is characterized by references to organized crime. Sometimes, a gritty narrative presented in the lyrics focuses on low-level street toughs and thugs, unfazed by the danger of crime because it can be the ticket to money and status. Mafioso Rap can also chronicle the lavish lifestyles of crime bosses, soaking up the materialistic and hedonistic pleasures of champagne, expensive drugs, beautiful women, high-end jewelry and fancy cars.
On Reasonable Doubt, Jay-Z weaves a tale that straddles both worlds. It is full of clever, double-entendres and contrasts the glamorous lifestyle of crime kingpins to the toll wreaked on the inner-peace and mental health of those who emulate them. Music critic Steve Huey summarized the record brilliantly by saying:
Jay-Z is cocky bordering on arrogant, but playful and witty, and exudes an effortless, unaffected cool throughout. And even if he's rapping about rising to the top instead of being there, his material obsessions are already apparent. The album demonstrates his extraordinary talent as a pure freestyle rapper, but also preaches a subtle message...'bad behavior gets in the way of making money.' Perhaps that's why Jay-Z waxes reflective, not enthusiastic, about the darker side of the streets."
I'll admit, Mafioso Rap is not my cup of tea. Still, I enjoy Jay-Z's clever use of language and his ability to weave long, lyrical passages filled with internal, multi-syllabic rhymes mixed with ingenious pop-culture references. It's easy to understand why he is so highly regarded in hip-hop culture. He is a dexterous wordsmith.

Jay-Z reportedly called the record Reasonable Doubt because he recognized the risk he was taking on his first solo project. He knew that any artistic endeavor draws criticism and judgment. He also knew that many of his rhymes were bold, boastful and even arrogant.

His doubts were quickly assuaged and, over the past 28 years, he has built an empire, securing a lavish lifestyle without participating in crime. He and his wife, Beyonce, have a combined worth of $2.5 Billion, not bad for a kid who was raised by a single mother in the tough Bedford-Stuyvesant housing projects in Brooklyn where gangster life was a reality.
Jay-Z and his wife of 15 years, Beyonce
My reasonable doubt has also been eased. I now have fewer records to write about than I have written about. The end is still four years away. but it seems increasingly likely I will make it there. Hope you can join me.



No comments:

Post a Comment