Monday 27 September 2021

The 500 - #350 - Roger The Engineer - Yardbirds

I was inspired by a podcast called The 500 hosted by Los Angeles-based comedian Josh Adam Meyers. His goal, and mine, is to explore Rolling Stone Magazine's 2012 edition of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 


Album: # 350

Album Title: Roger The Engineer

Artist: Yardbirds

Genre: Psychedelic Rock, Blues Rock, Experimental

Recorded: Advision, London, England

Released: July, 1966

My age at release: 1

How familiar was I with it before this week: One Song

Song I am putting on my Spotify Playlist: Over Under Sideways Down

Roger The Engineer is the second record by Yardbirds to appear on The 500 list, at #350. I wrote about the group's third album, Having A Rave Up, (#355) less than a month ago when I provided some background information on the influential, experimental blues group.
Having A Rave Up album cover - Yardbirds
Multiple records by the same artists, particularly when placed closely together on The 500 list, present a minor complication for me. My goal, as outlined in all of my posts, is to share a story about each record. Occasionally, my reflections are about the impact the record has had on my life. Sometimes, I simply share my discoveries after I research the album and listen to The 500 podcast.
Most of my Yardbird knowledge was shared on my previous post and, consequently, I'll stick to a few facts about this week's record selection.

Album #350 was released in England and the United States with different names, track listings and album covers. In the UK and Europe, it was dubbed Roger The Engineer. In the United States, it was released as Over Under Sideways Down, with two fewer tracks -- The Nazz Is Blue and Rack My Mind. Re-releases included these songs, making the original US version valuable to collectors.
US Cover for Yardbirds' Over Under Sideways Down
The album artwork for the European release of Roger The Engineer was done by Yardbirds' guitarist, pianist and singer Chris Dreja. The front cover is an ink sketch of Roger Cameron, who was the sound engineer. The back cover contains a few notes and track listings surrounded by an assortment of comically bizarre sketches by Dreja.
Back cover to Roger The Engineer
It is the first Yardbirds' record to contain only original material, and guitarist Jeff Beck performs as lead guitarist on every track. While on the US tour, Beck fell ill and was replaced by Jimmy Page, who had been touring with the band as the bass player. When Beck recovered, the band chose to continue without him -- a point he brought up humourously when Yardbirds were inducted into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993. See the video here.
"I have done other music, after the Yardbirds. Anyway, someone told me I should be proud tonight, but I'm not...because they kicked me out. They did. F*** them."
When I first listened to Roger The Engineer, I was surprised to learn that I knew one of the songs. The track, Over Under Sideways Down, was featured in a Chevy Cobalt Commercial in 2005. Although only 16 years ago, the commercial and the automobile seemed quite dated.
The record is a fun listen. It has that experimental sixties' magic with weird sounds and even some chanting, strung together through Beck's exceptional guitar work. Give it a try.

1 comment:

  1. T-Mobile CEO makes plans for $325M titanium scrap price
    The company is currently planning to build titanium earrings an integrated titanium chords integrated sports titanium stud earrings betting app, the CEO titanium trim hair cutter reviews of a titanium bicycle gaming firm

    ReplyDelete