Thursday 27 December 2018

Influential Album Day 6

Day 6

This is the sixth post in a series of ten documenting the albums I consider influential. My first post, found here, provides some insight into the rationale behind this journey. The first album I selected was the Soundtrack to Oliver, which I discovered in 1973 at about age 8. My second choice can be found here and was The Cars Debut album. The third selection was All the World's A Stage from Canadian band Rush (found here). The fourth, Duran Duran's Rio is (here) and the firth, Pink Floyd's Wish you were Here is (here).

When I first learned of this challenge, I knew that a record from this group of musicians needed to be selected. As I am typing the opening sentences to this composition, I have still not settled on the single LP I will select. The story today covers about 6 years, culminating in 1986.
In 1980, I discovered the band Genesis through the album Duke. I loved everything about the sound on this album - the lyrics (the fictional story of Albert), the drumming, the keys. In particular, it seemed to bridge a gap between both progressive rock and the pop music. It was high level musicianship fused with catchy melodies.

About the same time, I heard Games Without Frontiers from Peter Gabriel’s third album (Sometimes called Melt). My buddy “Cease” was the first person to tell me that Peter Gabriel used to be in Genesis. Thus, my journey to discover everything that these two bands had to offer began. I made weekly trips to both the library and Dr. Disc (a used record store) buying or borrowing everything in the catalogue.


The most interesting discovery was the album A Trick of the Tail (1978). The cover of the LP had been painted by a student at my first high school (Kingsville) and was displayed, without the title, in the cafeteria. I had looked at it for a year - loving it, but not knowing what it was.
Between about 1981 and 1986, I was Genesis obsessed. I eventually owned everything in their standard discography as well as a few bootleg, UK and rare releases. My favourite was my Spot the Pigeon EP on blue vinyl. It now goes for over $50 on EBay, so I regret letting that one go.


I still like everything (in varying degrees) by Gabriel, Banks, Rutherford, Hackett & Collins - even No Jacket Required - it’s those horns! These LPs (from 1969 - 1986) are a deeply ingrained soundtrack to my life from age 15 - 21. The releases after were equally important - particularly the Secret World Live release from the tour I saw in 1993. It was video cassette that was really the start (genesis) to the phenomenon of “Hodgyvision”.
"Hodgyvision is the nickname my friends and I give to shared video watching - usually over cocktails. It began in the days of VHS and we would bring our cassettes cued-up with videos of live performances, comedians or any strange television fodder. It eventually morphed into DVD's & PVR recordings and now we all use our SmartPhones to cast YouTube clips through Smart TV's. Technology making our lives immeasurably easier!" 
In the summer of 1996, one week apart, Peter Gabriel’s So & Genesis’ Invisible Touch were at #1 on the charts. It was one of the few times that an artist that I loved was commercially popular - and I had mixed feelings about it.

On my 22nd birthday, July 11, 1997, my buddy Cease and I saw Peter Gabriel play live at Exhibition Stadium in Toronto. I remember meeting a guy in the beer tent with a Genesis Nursery Crime concert shirt on. He seemed old - but was probably only in his early 30’s.  When you are 22 - everyone over 30 seems old. He had seen multiple incarnations of the all the bands we loved and he regaled us with stories. Ironically, I realize that I am doing the same right now! 

This concert was also one of the last times that Peter would perform his "Faith Fall" backwards in to the audience so he could be passed around by fans during the climax of Lay Your Hands on Me. I was in the throng near the front and that moment was the closest thing I had to an evangelical experience. See it from the same tour in Athens here (at about the 6:00 mark). In the end, I didn't get close enough - the crowd bowed and swayed and he was carried off to my right surprisingly quickly. Regardless, it was a surreal experience that punctuated the powerful energy a determined group of humanity can achieve.


With so much to choose from, it is tough to narrow this down - but that moment felt like a summit, so, I guess I am settling on So - to summarize a 38 year relationship with all things Genesis!

No comments:

Post a Comment