Saturday 18 August 2018

August 18th is a day

For the past four years, I have been using an App on my phone called Momento which bills itself as the "smart private journal for capturing your life story". It works like most social media apps (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc) however it is private. Consequently, it has the advantage of allowing the user to document anything without considering an audience -- other than one's future self.

A frequent criticism of social media is that users tend to create a "False Face" or "Ideal Self" as their online persona. I know this is true for me. My Twitter/Instagram feed is absolutely curated -- I tend only to show the best stuff going on around me. However, my Momento feed allows me to reflect on everything in my life -the banal, the somber, the pessimistic, the boastful, the tragic...the real.

The app also has a feature called "This Day" which highlights all the posts made on a calendar day. Now that I have been using it for several years, this is my favourite feature and I look forward to clicking my "This Day" button every morning over coffee. It is also interesting to see moments from your past strung together around the theme of a single calendar date. It's remarkable and often surprising how different Wednesday, June 10 in 2015 might be from Sunday, June 10 in 2018.

I have been fortunate, and most days I am delighted to see the pictures and text appear on my phone screen. Today was different.

Two years ago, on this date (August 18, 2016), I was standing on top of Mount Franny in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. A slightly challenging 2 kilometer trek puts the hiker at an elevation of 450 meters above sea level. Here, one is rewarded with a nearly 360 degree view of the Ingonish region of the Cabot Trail.  There is even a red, Muskoka/Adirondack chair intended to encourage a moment of mindful reflection.



It was about the time I snapped this picture of my wife that my phone rang. It was my good friend Bill and his typically buoyant voice sounded reserved and reed-thin. He let me know that our mutual friend Duncan had been diagnosed with an aggressive cancer. I paused and then immediately began to extol the achievements of the Canadian medical community. I recognize that this is my coping method -- I put faith into science and comfort myself with success stories I have experienced and the potential for healing that 21st Century medicine offers.

Last year, on this date (August 18, 2017), I was meeting my new fur-nephew at my cottage. An Irish Wolfhound with a wonderful disposition, he is a rescue dog from Texas who is featured in my avatar on multiple media platforms. He brought great joy to my sister one year after she said goodbye to "Merlot" a gentle and sweet dog who generously and effortlessly extolled warmth and elation to anyone he met.
Merlot in the Thames River, London, Ontario
This also marked the day I had returned to our cottage after spending time in London. I had gone to London to attend Duncan's celebration of life. An incredibly talented musician, composer and educator - he was well known and respected by many. The event was held in the outdoor music pavilion at Wonderland Gardens. His album of original jazz music Floating Point was played and his equally talented brother Cam, and Duncan's two daughters, performed. It was mournful -- but also beautifully uplifting.

Today, (August 18, 2018), I am drinking coffee and writing. I have yet to post a picture or text in my Momento App.  I suspect I will post a link to this blog. Tonight, my wife and I are going to meet good friends -- people who have chosen to travel to spend time with us. On Monday, we head for New York City -- to celebrate 32 years together and our 12th wedding anniversary (New York was the city in which we were married -- August 18, 2006).

We didn't go there for our 10th anniversary -- because of the exchange rate and the opportunity to go to Nova Scotia. I have been patiently waiting for the dollar to improve to make this trip more financially efficient. Secretly, my wife booked a flight, hotel and tickets to see Billy Joel at Madison Square Gardens. She surprised me on my birthday.

She was right.

She usually is.

Life is incredibly short and it can change quickly. Go out and make the most of every day -- including August 18th.

12 comments:

  1. Make the most of every day. Exactly! Like this app and how it lets you look back at one day over several years. Happy Anniversary and enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Ramona. I'm looking forward to this day and the rest.

      Delete
  2. Love the message Marc!

    We’re not guaranteed anything and I love how you celebrate and cherish what’s important to you. This year I’m attempting to focus more on the most important things. Walking away inspired. DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Derek. I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. Here's to a great day and a great year (I'm looking at you Sabres and Bills)!

      Delete
  3. Make the most of everyday! I agree 100%. Great piece Mr.H!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Niketa. Keep tagging me in your blog posts too. Have a great August 18th!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful post, Marc. I love how authentic your message is,every time. It can be hard to slow down and reflect on the simple things...our daily life. I bet Duncan is most pleased that you took some time out of August 18th, to share a little bit about him, with all of us. Thank you. Cheers! ~H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading it and your thoughtful response.

      Delete
  5. Very moving Marc! Very! I knew it was going to be a good post when you started by pulling back the veil we often keep up when using any of the social media apps we are using these days. Of course it's a construct of our best. Even when we openly share a frustration or a failure, it's always a well chosen one so even in "that" sharing we reveal ourselves as willing to be vulnerable and transparent and those are considered positive qualities today.

    Loved how you then jumped from ThisDay to the same day over time. My mother (now 92) still keeps her daily journal and has now for since she started back in the 50's. We'll often talk about the many places we moved to over the years and she'll get a journal and read to us what we actually DID on that day and what we had for dinner and what happened during that time. We love those memories. She often says now, I don't know why I still do this ...who is going to want to read all these journals when I'm gone? And I suppose on one level she's right but on another they will be the most precious thing she'll leave behind in one sense. Memories of a life well lived and shared.

    I tried to find that app and found much to my dismay - it's only for the iPhone - nothing from that company for Android. Found others but when I read over the features of Momento - nothing seemed to compare.

    The other thing I wanted to share after reading your piece here (and glancing back over other posts you have done) I've quickly coming to an important conclusion that when interviewing future Learning Coordinators / Coaches / they need to seriously consider what those people have to offer in the way of real writing skills. People like you, Heidi, Sarah Sanders, Ramona, Dave C., Annette, Sue Bruyns, Sabrina, Cheryl N. (and I know I"m going to miss a ton) but they are actual writers of blogs of major posts on FB etc. I can see a teacher taking this piece into an Intermediate or Secondary English class and says ..OK ... look at the structure of this writing, look at the emotional appeal, consider the "hook" and the ending. It is a very well written piece. Teachers who are hired to go in and teach teachers how to teach kids how to write, need to be writers themselves. You are perfect for the role you are in ..... I hope that those teachers who you work with realize and appreciate that. And as an aside - I only wish that those who interviewed you and hired you on to have this position were also writing and posting and sharing their world so we could engage in the learning process with them. But often sadly all too often (apart from the few retweets) we rarely hear from them. We rarely find out what they are thinking, planning and mulling over as they go about being leaders.

    Keep writing. We'll keep reading and responding.

    ck ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Cliff - thanks for such a great response. Sorry it took me some time to get back to you. I just noticed it today.
      Hopefully I will live into my 90's and have 40+ years of Momento memories to help me relive my wonderful life.
      I was keeping a blog when I was interviewed and Sue, who was part of the interview team (and the person who ultimately offered me the position) was aware of it.
      I appreciate your compliment. I really work with my students on structure during when teaching them writing - and we talk a lot about the "hook" and the importance of a structure. I often use my "Lost" unit to discuss the structure of 3 act storytelling and how that can be used in all writing.
      Thanks again for reading and responding so thoughtfully.

      Marc

      Delete